Assault & Battery Arrested after bar fight not involving me

W

Wronglyarrested

Jurisdiction
New York
I had a difficult weekend and was arrested Friday night in a New York City bar. I was with some people and we ordered drinks. Was late like midnight but that isn't so late in New York. There was an argument between someone at our table and a couple of gangster wannabe types. One of them threw a punch and a fight ensued. I didn't get involved directly after they started punching and just held someone back from beating up one of the people I was with. The police were apparently right nearby and arrived quickly. It didn't matter who did what. We were all arrested. I am very worried because I have never been arrested before and now I have a record??? I didn't even do anything and never threw a punch. I wasn't involved either. I'm not sure what to do and what might happen to me, especially now that I have actually been arrested.

I had a difficult weekend and was arrested Friday night in a New York City bar. I was with some people and we ordered drinks. Was late like midnight but that isn't so late in New York. There was an argument between someone at our table and a couple of gangster wannabe types. One of them threw a punch and a fight ensued. I didn't get involved directly after they started punching and just held someone back from beating up one of the people I was with. The police were apparently right nearby and arrived quickly. It didn't matter who did what. We were all arrested. I am very worried because I have never been arrested before and now I have a record??? I didn't even do anything and never threw a punch. I wasn't involved either. I'm not sure what to do and what might happen to me, especially now that I have actually been arrested.

You hire yourself a lawyer, or ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

In the meantime, you stay out of additional trouble, and appear in court as instructed.

The NYC police tend to snatch everyone, allowing the courts to sort it out. More than likely, your case will be dismissed by the prosecutor, or after your lawyer gets involved.

I wasn't involved either.

That's a contradiction - you said you WERE involved.

The bottom line is WHAT were you charged with? Assault? Disorderly Conduct? etc.

Were you put through central booking or were you released from the precinct with a Desk Appearance Ticket?

In all likelihood you will be best off with an attorney. You might want to consult with a few and discuss your case.

Back