Am I in trouble for slander?? NFL related.

nflfan30

Jurisdiction
California
First of all, I put a link to an nfl player accused of domestic abuse and said "he's a woman beater" on a Facebook comment then deleted it. It then changed the names to name removed and link removed on that place. He was never charged with the crime but I deleted it, saying why is he tied with domestic abuse? How likely is it that I'll be sued for these? Any idea of when I'll know when? Like will someone send me a Facebook notice? I'm worried a bit.

Slander is spoken defamation.
Libel is written defamation.

Stop posting random thoughts on Facebook.

Go on with your life. If you hear anything about this, I'll eat my hat.

With that said, if you DO receive some sort of legal notice, don't ignore it.

Slander is spoken defamation.
Libel is written defamation.

Stop posting random thoughts on Facebook.

Go on with your life. If you hear anything about this, I'll eat my hat.

With that said, if you DO receive some sort of legal notice, don't ignore it.
So it's extremely likely nothing will be pursued?

So it's extremely likely nothing will be pursued?
My opinion is that it's likely nothing will be pursued. I can't tell you what the actual odds are since that would require knowledge to which I am simply not privy to (nor is anybody else in the world). Nobody knows what is in the mind of another.

He was never charged with the crime but I deleted it, saying why is he tied with domestic abuse? How likely is it that I'll be sued for these?

I'd brace myself for surprises in the near future.

While anxiously awaiting the unknown, you might want to seek two or three FREE, initial consultations with lawyers in your community.

Be advised, no human being is capable of predicting what other human beings could, will, might, or will not do.

Therefore, I suggest you IMMEDIATELY cease posting on ALL
(inaptly) called, SOCIAL MEDIA.

If I were you, I'd shut my yapper, and simply quietly, silently DISAPPEAR myself.

Now, here's a thought that might make you smile wryly.

The ONLY thing anyone can prove about the ALLEGED comments SOMEONE posted on FAKEBOOK is that the words derived from an electronic device using a internet address associated with you.

That, mate, is a far cry from PROVING you typed the words.

How do I know, you're wondering?

As a criminal defense attorney (among other legal accomplishments) I successfully defended 20 odd defendants in military trials, state criminal trials, and federal criminal trials for acts similar to yours.

However, my clients were wise to adhere to my admonishment, "You have the right to remain silent. During the pendency of these legal proceedings, do it. Should you choose not to do it, I'll fire myself as your defense attorney. You might wish to throw yourselves in the Briar Patch, but I won't attempt to extricate or join you."

Silence, as in your RIGHT to remain silent is your best weapon.

Use it.

You have the absolute right to shut yer yapper.

Episode 2 Computer GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Police Rights GIF by South Park - Find & Share on GIPHY

Shut Your Mouth GIF by Film Riot - Find & Share on GIPHY

Wasn't there a virtually identical thread within the last day that the mods locked?

It then changed the names to name removed and link removed on that place.

What is the antecedent of "it" in this sentence?

How likely is it that I'll be sued for these?

This question raises no legal issue, but I'd say there's about a 0.00000000000001% chance of that happening.

Any idea of when I'll know when?

No.

Like will someone send me a Facebook notice?

Like, as if.

I'm worried a bit.

Well...just be careful the next time you answer your door.

Am I in trouble for slander?

Slander is the spoken form of defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact (not opinion), which is published (i.e., disseminated) to at least one person other than the subject of the statement, which is injurious to the subject's reputation and, in most cases, which causes actual monetary damage to the subject. Where the subject is a public figure, the statement must be made with knowledge of or reckless disregard for the falsity of the statement.

I'd brace myself for surprises in the near future.

While anxiously awaiting the unknown, you might want to seek two or three FREE, initial consultations with lawyers in your community.

Be advised, no human being is capable of predicting what other human beings could, will, might, or will not do.

Therefore, I suggest you IMMEDIATELY cease posting on ALL
(inaptly) called, SOCIAL MEDIA.

If I were you, I'd shut my yapper, and simply quietly, silently DISAPPEAR myself.

Now, here's a thought that might make you smile wryly.

The ONLY thing anyone can prove about the ALLEGED comments SOMEONE posted on FAKEBOOK is that the words derived from an electronic device using a internet address associated with you.

That, mate, is a far cry from PROVING you typed the words.

How do I know, you're wondering?

As a criminal defense attorney (among other legal accomplishments) I successfully defended 20 odd defendants in military trials, state criminal trials, and federal criminal trials for acts similar to yours.

However, my clients were wise to adhere to my admonishment, "You have the right to remain silent. During the pendency of these legal proceedings, do it. Should you choose not to do it, I'll fire myself as your defense attorney. You might wish to throw yourselves in the Briar Patch, but I won't attempt to extricate or join you."

Silence, as in your RIGHT to remain silent is your best weapon.

Use it.

You have the absolute right to shut yer yapper.

Episode 2 Computer GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Police Rights GIF by South Park - Find & Share on GIPHY

Shut Your Mouth GIF by Film Riot - Find & Share on GIPHY
Well if I may ask overall would you say also say it's extremely likely of something happening even IF somehow it was proven I typed the words?

Wasn't there a virtually identical thread within the last day that the mods locked?

What is the antecedent of "it" in this sentence?

This question raises no legal issue, but I'd say there's about a 0.00000000000001% chance of that happening.

No.

Like, as if.

Well...just be careful the next time you answer your door.

Slander is the spoken form of defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact (not opinion), which is published (i.e., disseminated) to at least one person other than the subject of the statement, which is injurious to the subject's reputation and, in most cases, which causes actual monetary damage to the subject. Where the subject is a public figure, the statement must be made with knowledge of or reckless disregard for the falsity of the statement.
It is another website.

Well if I may ask overall would you say also say it's extremely likely of something happening even IF somehow it was proven I typed the words?

No one can prove WHO or WHAT (as in an AI Generator gone rogue) typed the words, unless you fail to simply use your RIGHT to remain SILENT.

The state (or the plaintiff in a civil case) must PROVE whatever is being ALLEGED.

The UNKNOWN to me ENTITY responsible for typing the words could possibly get sued civilly for libel/defamation.

Should that happen, someone might be the recipient of a judgment in the Plaintiff's favor for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Remember this dude?

DJT.png

A New York jury found former President Donald Trump
Donald Trump News: Latest Updates, Video and Analysis | NBC News
liable Tuesday for sexually abusing writer E. Jean Carroll in a Manhattan department store in the 1990s but not liable for her alleged rape. E. Jean Carroll was 'exactly' Donald Trump's type, her lawyer says in closing arguments

The jury awarded her $5 million in damages for her battery and defamation claims.

Asked on its verdict sheet whether Carroll, 79, had proven "by a preponderance of the evidence" that "Mr. Trump raped Ms. Carroll," the nine-person jury checked the box that said "no." Asked whether Carroll had proven "by a preponderance of the evidence" that "Mr. Trump sexually abused Ms. Carroll," the jury checked the box that said "yes." Both allegations were elements of Carroll's battery claim.

The six men and three women also found Trump had defamed Carroll by calling her claims a "hoax" and a "con job."

The jury deliberated for only about three hours. It awarded Carroll just over $2 million on the battery claim and just under $3 million on the defamation claims.

"I filed this lawsuit against Donald Trump to clear my name and to get my life back. Today, the world finally knows the truth," Carroll said in a statement Tuesday. She didn't speak to reporters outside the courthouse.

In a separate statement, her lawyer Roberta Kaplan said: "No one is above the law, not even a former President of the United States. We are so thrilled that the jury agreed."

Trump found liable for sexually abusing and defaming E. Jean Carroll in civil trial and is ordered to pay $5 million

Based SOLELY upon your recitation of events hereinabove, I don't see anyone being charged criminally.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely that the player you made the statement even knows about it, much less considering suing you over it. Defamation cases are not exactly easy to win and If the NFL player is well known he'd have get over the extra hurdle zddoodah mentioned in the last sentence of his post. Defamation cases are costly to wage and there is guarantee that the jury would find the statement defamatory. Moreover, suing for defamation risk broadcating the comment to a much wider audience.

Do not worry yourself much about it for now. At this point there is nothing you can about this anyway other than contacting a defamation lawyer. Whatever will happen will occur whether you worry over it or just move on with your life. Anxiety over it now does you no good and may contribute to health problems. The time to worry is when you are served with a summons and complaint, which is the first step in a lawsuit or if you start being harassed or threatened by someone because of your post. If any of those things occur, you'd definitely want to get the assisstance of a lawyer.

Too many people feel it's okay to spout off whatever thought they have on social media because they see vile comments there on a pretty regular basis. The fact that others do it doesn't make it right and doesn't mean it won't ensnare you in a costly legal fight. When I was a kid my mother taught me that if I have nothing good to say about someone else that it's almost always better to just say nothing at all. Following that approach will keep you out of trouble you might otherwise cause with the negative things you say. You don't who is reading your social media posts and you cannot predict which people will be upset enough to something about. Think about how your post is going to viewed by others before hitting that post button.

Back