Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Afraid of Civil Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousScared1

I got arrested in June for shoplifting, but got a lawyer and was able to have the charges reduced to disorderly conduct and ordered to pay a $200 fine.

But Now I've got the lawyers for Lord and Taylor calling and sending letters saying that they *may* hit me with a civil suit if I don't pay them ANOTHER $200. The letters were just sent regular mail, not return recept or certified, nothing like that. They've sent three letters and called once and I haven't responded. My lawyer told me that they would NOT bring a civil suit against me, that he's never seen it happen, and that I didn't need to respond to the letters. I want to believe him, but I'm afraid that he might just be saying that to get more money out of me. I'm thinking that he's telling me not to respond so that when they DO decide to go along with the civil suit I'll have to pay him again to get myself out of it.

I don't know what to do. This thing has cost me SO much already, I just can't shell out another $200. What exactly IS a civil suit? Since the charges were dropped can they still file a civil suit against me? WOULD they really file a civil suit against me for a $40 dollar bracelet? Do I really have a reason to worry?

Ask your lawyer about how it can affect your credit rating. Lawyers don't really care about that, because they deal with criminal aspects, not credit. You have to think about it, though.

NervousScared1 said:
I got arrested in June for shoplifting, but got a lawyer and was able to have the charges reduced to disorderly conduct and ordered to pay a $200 fine.

But Now I've got the lawyers for Lord and Taylor calling and sending letters saying that they *may* hit me with a civil suit if I don't pay them ANOTHER $200. The letters were just sent regular mail, not return recept or certified, nothing like that. They've sent three letters and called once and I haven't responded. My lawyer told me that they would NOT bring a civil suit against me, that he's never seen it happen, and that I didn't need to respond to the letters. I want to believe him, but I'm afraid that he might just be saying that to get more money out of me. I'm thinking that he's telling me not to respond so that when they DO decide to go along with the civil suit I'll have to pay him again to get myself out of it.

I don't know what to do. This thing has cost me SO much already, I just can't shell out another $200. What exactly IS a civil suit? Since the charges were dropped can they still file a civil suit against me? WOULD they really file a civil suit against me for a $40 dollar bracelet? Do I really have a reason to worry?

A civil demand is what they are asking you for. In most states they are allowed to ask for this money. It is seperate from any criminal charges. I would pay the demand if i were you. Why would you want to risk being taken to court?

Pay the settlement

Write on the check - Final payment for my infraction.

If they cash/deposit it - they can never ask you for another dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back