Assault & Battery Advice for CPS and "Assault BI FV" situation?

Gintoki

Jurisdiction
Texas
So my fiance and I got into a ridiculous fight with various objects being broken (not thrown though) and involved one of us wrestling away a baseball bat and 2 incidents of biting. Now, we had told our son (not my son by law) to go to his room for a while but at one point upon returning to our home from outside he saw us come through the doorway, one of us with our arms around the other, wrestling away an arcade stick (to prevent it from being destroyed). As far as I was aware, our son never saw anything other than that and we soon stopped the scuffle. One of us threatened to call the cop at one point and then the other called the cops claiming violence..etc. So the police show up and we are already cooled down and ok and didn't want to answer the door until they threatened to beat it down. So they patted one of us down and forced the 2 of us to sit, in separate locations. We both told our stories,I personally had a hazy memory and it took a long time to get the stories lined up. Eventually they handcuffed us both and took us to the station. The police officers at no point warned us of our miranda rights and the both of us were told by officers multiple times that this was more than likely just going to be thrown out. We were both charged with "Assault Bodily Injury Family Violence" with a $2500 bond. I was released for $75 the next day because I had never been arrested. I bailed the other of us out the same day.

Of course neither of us feel our behavior was at all acceptable but in our personal opinion we really don't see it as anything the law has any good reason to get involved with except to extort money. On the other hand we do deeply regret that our son saw us in that particular moment, thankfully he was never scared, just alarmed, and was immediately playful and friendly after it was calm. There is no excuse for him to have seen any of that, whether you consider it violence or not. My significant other's sister came to pick up our son after we were taken away.

CPS is coming for a visit in 4 days and we are terrified by all we have read about them. We are currently living in a 1 bedroom apartment with the living room as his bedroom, this is only temporary and a means of staying afloat as we build our new business (which is thus far successful, still a ways to go). Some say we should avoid letting the CPS into our homes at all costs as there are a lot of case workers that will twist and use anything you say against you, as well as claim an emergency to take your kid at any time, others say to comply and answer all questions...I don't know which. We will definitely be recording anything that takes place. We have also learned it is likely they will take him from school to interrogate and manipulate him into saying anything they want. Are we legally aloud to be present if our son were to request to call us before leaving with them? Can he refuse to go with them? Any psychopath with a nice enough record and college can become a CPS caseworker and many people have unjustly had their families torn apart by them. How cooperative should we be? Should the wife and son stay at a friend's house as a means of showing intention of repairing our relationship (even though we both feel we're on a great start)? What can we expect from their visit?

I understand a lot of these questions are for an attorney for the charges we recieved, probably for the CPS visit as well. But we don't have the money for one and should have plenty of time to educate ourselves. I personally am fine with going to jail instead of paying them a penny for this. Everybody knows our legal system is disgusting. What do you think we are looking at and what actions we should take?

Most people POLITELY but FIRMLY) simply inform CPS that they refuse to meet with them.

Its best to say, "Under advice of counsel, we politely decline to meet with you."

Then STOP talking, explaining, end the coversation.

Yes, CPS could take you to court, if that happens, it was going to happen anyway.

So, if you get summoned to court, you simply plead NOT guilty, and request the court appoint lawyers to represent him, you, and the child(ren).

Then you simply SHUT UP.

Look at this video, it tells you ALL you need to know about voluntarily BLABBING to ANY government agency or agent!!!!

I think that is excellent advice and that video was brilliant, I was very impressed with the way this guy carried himself too lol. BUT, I feel like it's too late here. I've already done a lot of research and found this:

They will almost certainly visit your child's school and interrogate them away from you and as far as what I've read are very manipulative. All they have to do is ask him if he's seen us fighting and if he says yes, they win (if we don't cooperate).

Even though we did know better and had previously talked about such hypothetical situations like this and staying silent, we let loose and gave them a story. I don't know how bad this is given they didn't warn us of our miranda rights and that we were made to sit. I take this as being under police custody...we were not yet handcuffed though, I'm not sure. We are scared that whatever information the CPS received that lead them here would be used as evidence against us and us refusing to cooperate would show neglect of the matter and reason to take our kid away.

If we do not cooperate, they will not close the case till he is 18 years of age...

Given this, do you think staying silent and non-cooperative is still an option for us?

We do still intend to get counselling and are already taking measures to resolve our issue and behavioral habits.

Remaining silent, or stop blabbing DOES help, as it stems the flow of blood.

If you POLITELY, but firmly refuse the VOLUNTARY interview, it forces the authorities to leave you alone, or take the matter to court.

Either way, you win. If it goes to court, they are required UPON YOUR REQUEST to appoint each family member an attorney.

As far as your child at school, inform the school authorities in writing that no one is allowed to interview your child without your express, written permission.

Most importantly, make sure the child knows that, understands the importance of refusing to speak with any governmental authority UNLESS pop or mom is present!!!!!!

Our kids were taught to refuse to speak to anyone unless mom or pop, or grandparents were present from a very early age.

However, once you're present, you decline to have your child interviewed.

Parents are the only protection their children have. Make sure your kid(s) know that!!!

Forgive me for all the questions as I'm terrified resisting them will cause problems.

How do I know that they do not already have enough information to win the court case whether or not I have an attorney?

If I refuse to cooperate, they take us to court, and use what we told the police against us, I don't think an attorney could do anything to help us.

Also, wouldn't non cooperation with CPS affect the court case we're waiting on (time or place hasn't been announced) for our charges?

Also, you're the only person that's been helpful thus far, people on other forums just make insulting quips. I don't think any of what happened was acceptable and we are taking measures to grow and develop in a healthier direction. Thanks a lot for your time.

Forgive me for all the questions as I'm terrified resisting them will cause problems.

How do I know that they do not already have enough information to win the court case whether or not I have an attorney?

If I refuse to cooperate, they take us to court, and use what we told the police against us, I don't think an attorney could do anything to help us.

Also, wouldn't non cooperation with CPS affect the court case we're waiting on (time or place hasn't been announced) for our charges?

Also, you're the only person that's been helpful thus far, people on other forums just make insulting quips. I don't think any of what happened was acceptable and we are taking measures to grow and develop in a healthier direction. Thanks a lot for your time.

Any court battle is a crap shoot.

All you can do now is learn from the past.

As far as any court action, its best to avoid court battles.

However, in your situation, a court battle places you and CPS on equal footing.

The judge and/or jury are impartial arbiters of your family's fate.

Otherwise, if you go the CPS route, you allow CPS to be your judge, jury, and executioner.

This is one of life's many tough choices.

If I were sitting in your position I'd rather it go to court, than allow CPS to decide the fate of my children.

No need to worry about why or how you got here, you need to figure out how to get outta here. Court, lawyers, judges, adversarial process, it's your BEST shot.

YOU are the ones who brought the police into the equation. The police had no way of knowing you were fighting in front of your kid until YOU called them. Of course CPS is going to get involved when YOU call the police to report violence in the home of a young child. Yes, they can take it to court and no, it is not going to help your cause to be uncooperative, even if you have that right. Judges are not amused by those who waste the court's time as a stall tactic. Do not expect CPS to just give up because you do not cooperate. You did place your child in danger by engaging in a physical fight which resulted in law enforcement intervention.

Yes, you can face criminal charges as a result of the fight, even if you kiss and make up later. One of you felt the situation warranted police intervention at the time and that is not something the police or DA take lightly. The police do not appreciate being called away from their necessary duties as a method of revenge against someone. While they were busy attending to you, that meant some other case or situation went unaddressed.

Back