93 Ford Ranger Purchase

Bc_gold

Jurisdiction
Manitoba
Private sale the truck needed a hydraulic master and slave cylinder, we agreed on $800.00 on a hand shake gave a $500.00 deposit. When I returned a week later with the balance owing, someone had cut the wiring harness under the hood.

The fellow who sold me the truck would not come out of the house, either his son or a nephew did, when I discovered the cut wires he informed me he would make sure I got my money back.

Between the time of purchase and return date to clear up the final payment I had ordered the parts required for the clutch repair.

In Manitoba you can not register a used vehicle before passing a safety, the way i see it with the $500.00 paid on the purchase I technically owned the truck, the outstanding debt which I was about to pay was unsecured.

The truck lives in a town an hours drive from my home, I want to take the seller to small claims court to cover the damages made to my Ford Ranger, fuel and time for travel plus the cost of the parts purchased for the repair, court costs which I'm hoping will cover my lawyer fees.

To move the truck it would have been required to tow or trailer-ed, had it been mobile a permit, yes in Manitoba you can purchase a permit for a vehicle not registered in your name. As mentioned after the purchase of used vehicle it must pass a safety before you can register and insure. I'm from British Columbia and find these laws ridiculous , but that is not at issue in fact might even help with the small claims court filing.

The truck lives in a town an hours drive from my home, I want to take the seller to small claims court to cover the damages made to my Ford Ranger, fuel and time for travel plus the cost of the parts purchased for the repair, court costs which I'm hoping will cover my lawyer fees.

You'd better get a free consultation with an attorney cause you'r not gonna believe me when I say that you don't own the truck and the only thing you're entitled to sue for is your $500 back.

Sure, you get your court fees and process service fees when you win. And, in Canada, the prevailing party gets awarded reasonable attorney fees. But who is going to pay them? Think about that. Just because you get a judgment doesn't mean you'll ever collect from the guy.

Back