25% unused Vacation pay taking away

DNooch66

Jurisdiction
New York
I belong to a union here in New York. I work for a utility company also in New York. The current union that represents 7,0000 union members came to an agreement with management the following:

We are allowed to carry over up 2 weeks vacation per year. This is vacation that we accrued over our years of service. If we don't use our vacation by June , the union allowed the company only pay us out 75% of OUR VACATION. For example if I did not use my carryover vacation the company takes 25% of my paycheck which amounts to $580 taking from me. That can not be legal in New York.

Also I represent Union Freedom Justice, it's a union party that will run against the current union administration that represents today. We are looking to retain a law firm or labor lawyer that has experience in contract negotiations, unions, labor law. We are looking to retain on consignment/pro-bono. If we win election in March we will hire you to represent the 7,0000 union members. I can't say to much here.

Thank you

I belong to a union here in New York. I work for a utility company also in New York. The current union that represents 7,0000 union members came to an agreement with management the following:

We are allowed to carry over up 2 weeks vacation per year. This is vacation that we accrued over our years of service. If we don't use our vacation by June , the union allowed the company only pay us out 75% of OUR VACATION. For example if I did not use my carryover vacation the company takes 25% of my paycheck which amounts to $580 taking from me. That can not be legal in New York.
They're not taking your "paycheck", they are reducing your accrued vacation amount. It IS legal if the contract is ratified.

Also I represent Union Freedom Justice, it's a union party that will run against the current union administration that represents today. We are looking to retain a law firm or labor lawyer that has experience in contract negotiations, unions, labor law. We are looking to retain on consignment/pro-bono. If we win election in March we will hire you to represent the 7,0000 union members. I can't say to much here.

Thank you
This is not a legal referral forum, nor do the advisors here troll the forum for clients. You will need to seek out an attorney/firm using a different method.

Use it or lose it policies are legal in New York as long as there is a written policy to that effect and the employees are aware of it.

Back