2 teenagers do not want to live with us anymore

scotty15951

Jurisdiction
Maryland
We have a 17 and 13 year old who no longer want to stay with us. We have 50-50 custody and they do not get along with my wife. They are nasty to her and she's finally had enough so they just want to go live with their mother full time. I don't know if I should push them to come back or if I should get the police involved or just let them go. Any suggestions?

Police will tell you it's a civil matter. You can go to court to either enforce the current custody order or change it.

Police will tell you it's a civil matter. You can go to court to either enforce the current custody order or change it.
But will it hurt us in any way to do nothing until things settle down a bit? We are willing to leave it alone for a while but are scared that if we do that then she will go back to modify child support

Why should she not file to have child support modified if she ends up being the primary custodian of the children? Do the children need to eat less while over at Mom's house?

Why should she not file to have child support modified if she ends up being the primary custodian of the children? Do the children need to eat less while over at Mom's house?
I said we are fine to leave it alone until things settle down - meaning not for good. I've always hated these things and it figures that the first time I try it out I get sarcasm for my first reply. Thank you for your input.

This is not really a legal issue as its a parenting decision you need to make. In my signature line is a link to a "Parenting forum" (hosted by this site) where you can discuss options with other parents who might have gone through similar situations.

You need to figure out what is best for the children. Whether or not it will change the child support shouldn't be a deciding factor. Blending families is always difficult and teenagers are rarely easy. Family counseling might be the way to go.

You need to figure out what is best for the children. Whether or not it will change the child support shouldn't be a deciding factor. Blending families is always difficult and teenagers are rarely easy. Family counseling might be the way to go.
We've done that - she's been turning the kids against my wife since day 1 and over the years it took its toll. We'll figure it out thank you for the input.

So, where have you been while your children have been treating your wife like crap? If you have joint custody, you have just as much influence as your ex, and more when it comes to your wife as you are (presumably) present when they do see her.

Children do not get to decide where they live. Why on earth would you agree to see your children less? If counseling is needed, get it. You aren't doing the kids or your wife any favors by allowing this to fester.

Back