17, turning 18 in February. Moving out now.

I

Inquiri

Jurisdiction
Texas
I've been through many struggles to move out. The thought has come across for 3 years now, and I've been told at 17 I now can. Although, I'm not 100% sure on every law involving this. I've been kicked out, then brought back. I've been told "you can leave", then forced to stay. I have proof of them saying I'm kicked out. Also witnesses of abuse, drug use in the house, and unpermitted weapons. By the way, I have graduated from high school. I don't have a job at the moment because I'm moving out, and planning on signing up for college once I move. I've been told by a cop, if I've graduated at 17, I'm considered emancipated. Also with consent of my care giver.

I'd like to know exactly what would happen if I just packed my bags, left a note saying I'm not missing, and left. Also, I ran away recently. Cops have told me anything given to me is mine and that it would be considered theft if they tried to restrain me from taking my own belongings. Does this go along with a phone with a contract being payed overtime? It's one of those contracts where you turn your phone in every 2 years for another.

I'd prefer my family not know where I live. They have threatened to kill whoever I go with. They've threatened to take me back. How easily could I have a restraining order out on my dad at 17? Or at least security to know that cops can't tell him where I am. I mean 4 months till I'm 18 should just mean I can be let free. Otherwise I'm out under serious risk for him transpassing on property with a weapon and harming someone.

Sorry for a long entry. Please don't reply if you think just because of someone's age, they should be forced into being with family. I don't need opinions, I need to know the laws.

The laws say that until you are 18, you live where your parents or legal guardians say you live. There is no truth whatsoever to what the cop told you - you are not emancipated until the earlier of the day a court says you are, or your 18th birthday. Graduation does NOT legally emancipate a minor. In any state.

An anomaly in your particular state's law means that law enforcement is sometimes reluctant to return home a 17 year old runaway who is in a safe place and whose parents know where they are. "Sometimes" is not always, and that same anomaly does not prohibit your parents from coming to get you and dragging you back home. It also means that the cops are unlikely to interfere on your behalf if they do so.

The plain LEGAL fact is, unless the state removes you and places you in foster care, the earliest you can move out and be CERTAIN that you cannot be returned home is your 18th birthday. You might be able to fly under the radar and you might not. But there is not a law in your state (or, frankly, any other) under which a 17 year old can leave home and have there be nothing a parent can do about it.

Back