17? runaway?

S

Selena.

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I'm 17 years old and really don't like being home. Now the South Caorlina Laws Say "
(1) "Child" or "juvenile" means a person less than seventeen years of age. "Child" or "juvenile" does not mean a person sixteen years of age or older who is charged with a Class A, B, C, or D felony as defined in Section 16-1-20 or a felony". Which means at the age of 17, you can leave home and if your in a safe environment you can stay? Yes or no

No. The age at which the state will prosecute you as an adult if you commit a crime, and the age at which you are free from parental control do not have to be the same. The age of majority is 18. You can leave, and no one can make you return, when you are 18 and not before.

I'm 17 years old and really don't like being home. Now the South Caorlina Laws Say "
(1) "Child" or "juvenile" means a person less than seventeen years of age. "Child" or "juvenile" does not mean a person sixteen years of age or older who is charged with a Class A, B, C, or D felony as defined in Section 16-1-20 or a felony". Which means at the age of 17, you can leave home and if your in a safe environment you can stay? Yes or no

Life can be tough, especially as a teenager.
I know, because I was once a teenager back when we rode horses and lived in tents. LOL
Anyway, in less than 12 months you'll be 18.
Until you become 18, smile and pretend TGAF.
At age 18, you can tell anyone to GET F**CKED, and walk or run away from where you live today.
If you're NOT being physically abused, sexually molested, malnourished, and uneducated; chill and enjoy the ride.

Life can be tough, especially as a teenager.
I know, because I was once a teenager back when we rode horses and lived in tents. LOL
Anyway, in less than 12 months you'll be 18.
Until you become 18, smile and pretend TGAF.
At age 18, you can tell anyone to GET F**CKED, and walk or run away from where you live today.
If you're NOT being physically abused, sexually molested, malnourished, and uneducated; chill and enjoy the ride.

I hope that's a typo and you meant to write "If you're not being physically abused"...etc enjoy the ride.

You really didn't take note of criminal law context of that definition?

Anyway, while you're technically now in the midst of your 18th year (you completed your 17th trip around the sun when you "turned" 17), it's best to wait until you "turn" 18 to leave. I know of few teens your age for whom the home life is swell.

You CAN leave home, but what will happen after you do, we obviously cannot know. If you can support yourself, you're free to talk with a family law atty about emancipation.

Last edited:
Back