being sued for breaking a lease what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbly1974

i am being sued for breaking a lease, i told them i was moving and the landlord didn't do anything until now. i left there in june 2006. what will happen now? i don't own anything and i really don't have anything. i am on disability. the landlord never fixed anything they said they were gonna. now they are trying to say i did some damages to the house and those things were like that when i moved in. what do i do?

There is not much you can do now. There are proper channels you gave to go through to break a lease-you just cannot get up and leave. If you only left 2 months ago then of course he is probably going to sue you now. The LL is required to mitigate damages which means, find another tenant. However you probably could be on the hook for a couple months rent.

If the landlord serves you a small claims suit then you must show up and defend yourself. If you are on disability and likely that is your only income then the LL probably cannot get much but he can ruin your credit and try to collect the money later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back