Out-of-state 75+ speeding ticket - NC license

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbongio

I live in North Carolina (north of Charlotte), have a NC license, and just got a notice of driving priviliege suspension in the mail, for a speeding ticket i got in Ohio back in November.
I was clocked around 80mph in a 65mph zone, on I-77.
The notice calls for a 6 months suspension!
This is my 1st ticket in NC, although i do have tickets on my previous OH license, when i lived there.
I live alone, and use the car everyday to go to work, plus i need to rent a car at least once or twice a month during business trips.
Is there any way i can avoid the suspension? I don't care much about insurance cost, court, or legal fees, but i just need to be able to drive.

The only issue i had in NC was being caught with out of state license and expired inspection 3 months after i moved, but all i had to do was going to court with the new license and documents, and the DA let me go with no fine and no problems. Will this issue prevent me to ask a PFJ?

Also, which court will my case be assigned to? Can i call the NCDMV myself to request a hearing, or should i talk to a lawyer 1st?
I'd like to retain a lawyer, but i would like to select an attorney that knows the court district i'll be assigned to?

Please help... i don't know what to do.

Thank you.

North Carolina License Suspension

A lot of North Carolina drivers get caught with this when they just pay an out of state ticket. The hearings are usually held in Raleigh. You do have to request the hearing within the time limit on the notice and you need to do that CRRR. You will need an attorney.

Thank you for your reply.
I am going to request a hearing today, i have found out i am still eligible, that's the good news.
Sorry for the ignorance, but what does CRRR mean?

Thank you.

Update - Ticket in NC

I spoke to the DMV in Raleigh today, and they scheduled a hearing at the DMV in Charlotte in two weeks.
The DMV clerk told me it is not a court matter, but a discussion with the DMV officer that will give me an opportunity to discuss the case. The clerk specifically told me NOT to bring a lawyer along, because this is not a court matter, where a judge will make a decision.
The fact that i paid the ticket in the State i got it, doesn't matter to them.
The clerk mentioned that it will be very difficult to avoid a suspension, which freaks me out.
I thought i had a chance to go in front of a judge and ask for a PFJ, but it doesn't appear it be the case.

Any help on how i should proceed, will be appreciated.

Thank you.

:eek: ....!!! NOrth Carolina suspends your license for 6 months...for going just 15 over the limit. That's brutal.

I thought Virginia was the most strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back