Bumped a parked car whilst parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylaw

: I clipped a old van whilst reverse parking I got out to check damage and didn't really notice anything bad so I waited around and then drove to the shop around corner whilst there I noticed a tiny scratch on my car.. A few weeks passed and my barber who yhe owner had confronted told me the man is claiming I damaged his vehicle so I drove past where it happened the van was there so I left a note... Out of good will,With my details again it appeared there was no damage to the vehicle I then recieved a phone call asking for £200 to fix a damaged bumper on the van? And I offered to get it fixed by a mechanic I know but the person said no he is refusing to let me get quotes and fix it. he also said his bumper damage is just dented and could be pulled out so could be fixed cheaper but he wants a whole new one so said unless I pay the £250 he'll go to the police and il get 6 points?what to do? And is this still considered bump and run if I indeed made my contact details known as soon as I heard there was aparently damage...

: I clipped a old van whilst reverse parking I got out to check damage and didn't really notice anything bad so I waited around and then drove to the shop around corner whilst there I noticed a tiny scratch on my car.. A few weeks passed and my barber who yhe owner had confronted told me the man is claiming I damaged his vehicle so I drove past where it happened the van was there so I left a note... Out of good will,With my details again it appeared there was no damage to the vehicle I then recieved a phone call asking for £200 to fix a damaged bumper on the van? And I offered to get it fixed by a mechanic I know but the person said no he is refusing to let me get quotes and fix it. he also said his bumper damage is just dented and could be pulled out so could be fixed cheaper but he wants a whole new one so said unless I pay the £250 he'll go to the police and il get 6 points?what to do? And is this still considered bump and run if I indeed made my contact details known as soon as I heard there was aparently damage...

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
That said, in the US (as this a US focused law forum), one could report the matter to his or er insurance company.
Had you not returned to the alleged scene of the crime, no one would have been any the wiser.
If this had transpired in the US, I'd advise you to pay the 250, or make a counter-offer, maybe 200.
If the offended party agrees, get him to sign a full and complete release of liability (and a receipt) BEFORE you hand over the cash.
Be advised that by paying him the cash, there's no guarantee he won't get the police involved.
In the US this is a civil and criminal matter.
Taking care of one can lesen the effect of the other, but won't guarantee that both remedies can't later be pursued.

You need a picture of the damaged bumper to show the judge. Based on your description of the damage, he is entitled to a small bottle of touchup paint and even that is going to improve his position before you tapped him more than he lost. Regarding your breaking of the law regarding leaving the scene, that is a legal matter not a civil one. It is covered under Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

Last edited:

DON'T CREATE MULTIPLE POSTS ASKING THE SAME (or similar) QUESTION!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back