Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingersnap1998

My son concealed, with intent to steal, a $30 hat from a MAJOR department store. There were 2 other boys involved so they added up the merch, multiplied by 3 (since they were together) and they are banned from this chain across the country. We will be required to pay the multiplied total in restitution. We are waiting to get our court date. My husband (who wasn't there, btw) is telling me the boys will never even see the inside of a courtroom. That there will be no court date. I'm pretty sure the officer was serious. I even had to sign papers saying the county clerk will be calling with the date, possibly mailing it. My husband will not even take it seriously enough to get my son legal representation!! My son is 15. What is the reality of what he's facing here?

I am a retail theft consultant and talk to people like you daily. the possibility is real! However when you get a court date you will still have time to talk to a Lawyer so if he wants to wait why start a fight?

Sounds like there certainly "might" be a court date assigned. If he is required to go to court, then you will want to get a lawyer. A lawyer can help get the best outcome possible & go over options.

These matters, especially with juveniles, more frequently than not are handled outside the courtroom, but with legal counsel.
First things first, before you worry too much about it, wait to find out what offense he is charged with, if any. It is not uncommon for charges to be dismissed for various reasons, or to be handled as an infraction.
If your son is charged/arraigned for a misdemeanor offense then seek counsel. If an infraction then just pay the fines.
Getting legal counsel prior to the arraignment might make you feel better, but won't accomplish a whole lot and will just cost you more.
The initial court date is simply to inform of the formal charges and to assign legal counsel if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back