First time shoplifting -- Should I plead Guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah1123

I was recently caught shoplifting fr the first time. I signed a paper at the store admitting my guilt. My court date is in a few weeks -- Do I have to plead guilty since I already signed a recognition of my guilt to the store? Does pleading guilty automatically mean I will be convicted?
This is my first time with any criminal charge, I have a clean record.

I was recently caught shoplifting fr the first time. I signed a paper at the store admitting my guilt. My court date is in a few weeks -- Do I have to plead guilty since I already signed a recognition of my guilt to the store? Does pleading guilty automatically mean I will be convicted?
This is my first time with any criminal charge, I have a clean record.

The document you signed in the store is for their records and the civil demand letter they'll be sending you.
Read the letter carefully, they will demnd you send them money.
How much? It depends on yoru state, but the letter will tell you. Its about $500. give or take.

Now, to the court case.
You don't want a conviction on your record. If you get one, it'll really mess up your life.
So, appear when ordered to a[[ear, plead not guilty, and if you can afford a lawyer, hire one.
If you can't afford a lawyer, ask the court to see if you qualify for a taxpayer paid public defender.
Starting now, STOP discussing this, asking about it, or commenting on it.
Don't ever do this again.
Talk ONLY to your lawyer about this.
There are certain options that can diminish the lifetime of hurt and pain this will cause you.
Also don't even go near that store. ever.
Finally, they have your information in a nationwide database.
It'll impact many future employment options.
Stealing is costlier than you can imagine.
Shoplifting is like herpes, it never goes away, and it will flare and hurt for years.

The document you signed in the store is for their records and the civil demand letter they'll be sending you.
Read the letter carefully, they will demnd you send them money.
How much? It depends on yoru state, but the letter will tell you. Its about $500. give or take.

Now, to the court case.
You don't want a conviction on your record. If you get one, it'll really mess up your life.
So, appear when ordered to a[[ear, plead not guilty, and if you can afford a lawyer, hire one.
If you can't afford a lawyer, ask the court to see if you qualify for a taxpayer paid public defender.
Starting now, STOP discussing this, asking about it, or commenting on it.
Don't ever do this again.
Talk ONLY to your lawyer about this.
There are certain options that can diminish the lifetime of hurt and pain this will cause you.
Also don't even go near that store. ever.
Finally, they have your information in a nationwide database.
It'll impact many future employment options.
Stealing is costlier than you can imagine.
Shoplifting is like herpes, it never goes away, and it will flare and hurt for years.

I have already paid the restitution to the store.
Can I plead not guilty -- even though I signed a paper admitting my guilt? If I plead guilty, will that automatically lead to a conviction?

Surely you didn't understand what you signed. Heck, I bet you felt intimidated and signed it without even reading it.

Yes, you can still plead not guilty. Talk to a lawyer & only a lawyer as was suggested.

Sarah, pleading not-guilty is not the same thing as saying, I didn't do it. It's saying, "I am standing on my Constitutional right to have the State prove me guilty in a court of law".

Either hire a Lawyer before court or plead not guilty and hire a Lawyer or request Public defender yes you can plead not guilty. All this does is gets you another court date so you can prepare your defense or arrange a plea deal. Next when you meet with this Attorney (start seeking consultations now many offer this free) ask about ACD or Diversion as plea option. This can protect your clean record. This will not impact the retail theft database if the store is a subscriber. That will be there for about 7 years but only other subscribers can view it. So if store A puts your name in database but you apply for work at Store B but they are not subscriber they will not see it. You can email if you like and I can tell you if the store that stopped you is a subscriber to any one or more of these databases. Because I consult for both them and others I cannot name these retailers publically. retailtheftexpert@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back