Getting custody back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shontae

My daughter is currently 4. Back in 2012 I asked for an increase in child support being that her dad made about 50k/yr but only paid $475/month in child support which only covered daycare. He of course was upset & didn't agree to an increase so he filed for custody! Then came every lie in the world! At that time I was 25, single mother to my daughter & son, own place, car, job (tried to take care of my kids the best way I know). Don't drink nor smoke & never been involved in any CPS matters or problems with my children! My daughter has a severe case of eczema & during this she broke out very bad, even though she visited a dermatologist who said that the outbreaks are normal, everyone looked at me as if I "medically neglected" my daughter. The court appointed an amicus. The amicus came to my resident & did not find anything wrong at all! Visit after visit no dirt is coming up on my end but my daughters dad failed a drug test (urine & hair follicle), his convicted felon of an uncle lived with him & he also works out of town CONSTANTLY! I was even given a drug test & of course passed! I connected with an attorney who I thought had my best interest but in the end, she bailed on me! Going into everything I paid upfront for a retainer & then based on my income we agreed on a pymt plan but about a month before the scheduled decision in court she bailed on me by saying she needed a large lump sum of money before she could go In to represent me. I felt as if I had been set up in some way. The amicus seemed to be on the dad side & was very rude every time she spoke with me. I had to move out of my residence & with my mother because of the attorney fees. My financial situation changed dramatically! The amicus was even told to visit my mother house! Still, nothing could be reported! I eventually seen that the father, his mother, his lawyer & the amicus was all "friends" on the social sight Facebook! His mother would discuss the case off scene with the amicus & his lawyer even though he is 24 at the time (a grown man). In court him & the amicus would sit in the room laughing & talking with each other! I really felt played & cheated! At the end of the day the judge listened to everything the amicus said & reminder, I was left alone to represent myself! I lost & he won!!! It hurts because I only get my daughter 1st, 3rd or 5th weekend! She is going on 5 yrs old & still to this day cry her heart out every Sunday when I have to return her to dad. Most of the time it's with his mother. My daughter begs to stay with me & it's a Shame because I've never neglected or caused any harm to her! Only a monster would take away a young girl from her mother! I rarely see her & I don't think it's fair at all because he didn't want to pay child support initially! Everything was done out of spite! & being that I had to move with my mother because of the expensive fees, they basicly said he's more stable. Of course he makes the money but he's not physically taking care of her like I do! Since the final decision (May 2013) he's been out of town more than at home with her! Also my daughter hair came out significantly to the point where she was bald in big spots of her head! It happened all in his care & I don't see him getting into any trouble for it. He cannot properly take care of her like me! What can I possibly do? I want my daughter back!

My daughter is currently 4. Back in 2012 I asked for an increase in child support being that her dad made about 50k/yr but only paid $475/month in child support which only covered daycare. He of course was upset & didn't agree to an increase so he filed for custody! Then came every lie in the world! At that time I was 25, single mother to my daughter & son, own place, car, job (tried to take care of my kids the best way I know). Don't drink nor smoke & never been involved in any CPS matters or problems with my children! My daughter has a severe case of eczema & during this she broke out very bad, even though she visited a dermatologist who said that the outbreaks are normal, everyone looked at me as if I "medically neglected" my daughter. The court appointed an amicus. The amicus came to my resident & did not find anything wrong at all! Visit after visit no dirt is coming up on my end but my daughters dad failed a drug test (urine & hair follicle), his convicted felon of an uncle lived with him & he also works out of town CONSTANTLY! I was even given a drug test & of course passed! I connected with an attorney who I thought had my best interest but in the end, she bailed on me! Going into everything I paid upfront for a retainer & then based on my income we agreed on a pymt plan but about a month before the scheduled decision in court she bailed on me by saying she needed a large lump sum of money before she could go In to represent me. I felt as if I had been set up in some way. The amicus seemed to be on the dad side & was very rude every time she spoke with me. I had to move out of my residence & with my mother because of the attorney fees. My financial situation changed dramatically! The amicus was even told to visit my mother house! Still, nothing could be reported! I eventually seen that the father, his mother, his lawyer & the amicus was all "friends" on the social sight Facebook! His mother would discuss the case off scene with the amicus & his lawyer even though he is 24 at the time (a grown man). In court him & the amicus would sit in the room laughing & talking with each other! I really felt played & cheated! At the end of the day the judge listened to everything the amicus said & reminder, I was left alone to represent myself! I lost & he won!!! It hurts because I only get my daughter 1st, 3rd or 5th weekend! She is going on 5 yrs old & still to this day cry her heart out every Sunday when I have to return her to dad. Most of the time it's with his mother. My daughter begs to stay with me & it's a Shame because I've never neglected or caused any harm to her! Only a monster would take away a young girl from her mother! I rarely see her & I don't think it's fair at all because he didn't want to pay child support initially! Everything was done out of spite! & being that I had to move with my mother because of the expensive fees, they basicly said he's more stable. Of course he makes the money but he's not physically taking care of her like I do! Since the final decision (May 2013) he's been out of town more than at home with her! Also my daughter hair came out significantly to the point where she was bald in big spots of her head! It happened all in his care & I don't see him getting into any trouble for it. He cannot properly take care of her like me! What can I possibly do? I want my daughter back!

You need to HIRE a lawyer.

No FREE internet DISCUSSION site can be of assistance to you.

Your other option is research the internet and learn all that you can about custody and visitation matters in Texas.

Your battle is in the courtroom, not the internet.

One last word of FREE advice, improve yourself.

Enroll in community college classes, become a hairdresser, an LPN, an RN, a carpenter, a plumber, a teacher, an accountant, a firefighter, a police officer, a hair dresser, an electrician, become a truck driver, a day care aide, a teaching assistant, a chef, a certified nursing assistant; just improve yourself.

How? Education and training, investigate grants, loans, do whatever it takes to get more education (and/or training), get a better job, make more money, build a better life for you, then worry about your daughter.

You can't help others, unless you first help yourself.

Then, stop going after your wants, obtain your needs first.

Improving yourself won't happen in a day, a week, it takes years in many cases.

But, it doesn't change until you change.

Good luck, now go fight the good fight.

Thanks for that advice! I have been in school for cosmetology for about 6 months now & will be graduating in December of this year! I know I must better myself because that seems to be the only way I'll even be considered for custody. Hate that it's not an overnight process for my daughters sake but I guess this is where my patience kick In. At the end of the day it will be well worth it because I'm never giving up! Thanks so much!

Thanks for that advice! I have been in school for cosmetology for about 6 months now & will be graduating in December of this year! I know I must better myself because that seems to be the only way I'll even be considered for custody. Hate that it's not an overnight process for my daughters sake but I guess this is where my patience kick In. At the end of the day it will be well worth it because I'm never giving up! Thanks so much!

Good for you, Shontae, you've taken the first of many steps.

Others have done it, and you can, too.

Cosmetology is a good skill to have.

Its much like being a barber, people will always have grooming needs.

I'll bet it makes you feel great to help others look their best.

I had a young man as a criminal client some years ago.

He got in some trouble, we managed to keep him out of prison, and obtain probation.

He went to rehab, kicked a very bad drug habit, went to barber school after he got out of rehab, worked hard to get his barber license, and today owns two barber shops, has about 20 barbers working for him, got himself elected to the school board, and is doing great.

We all can do great things.

I wish you well.

That's a very motivating story! I one day wish to own a salon myself because I have the skills just never believed in nor pushed myself to get my license & start a career! I have also met with traveling celebrity stylist from other states who has inspired me as well! Ima firm believer in the saying "every saint has a pass & every sinner has a future" since this situation. I know I will overcome this battle! I thank you for taking the time out to give me your word of advice. It truly means a lot to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back