Mental/Emotional Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

meganmae0650

Im 16 (17 in September) and I really have a strong need to get emancipated. First off, I live in North Carolina. My mother is mentally abusive. If I do something that she doesnt like (from failing my math exam to not putting a plate in the dishwasher) that im a disappointment and that she can't stand to even look at me. Shes called me cow, a b----- and told me I was never going to be anything. She has told me that she should start beating me to get her point across and that she was going to make it where I wouldnt have any contact with the outside world. She's also said she wanted to kill me a few times. She has threw glasses and phones towards me. My step-father is constantly yelling at me and threatening to knock my teeth down my throat. My mother has told me that if I ever tell anyone or call social services she'll find me and beat me to death. I don't know what to do. A few weeks ago I broke and started crying to my cousin about everything that was going on and my great-aunt read the chat conversation and has offered to help me and let me live with her. Mom acts like a totally different person in public, just the sweetest and happiest person you've ever met but once shes alone with me she starts everything again. Is there anyway to go around the legal constent of a parent to get emancipated? Or is there any other option I have to get away? Could I possibly file for emancipation and stay with my Aunt until I am emancipated? If she finds out im looking for a way out im afraid she'll beat me and make my life even more horrible. I dont have access to a school counselor (im a online high school student) and calling child services and having a discussion with them is out of the question because she is constantly around. I need a quick and clean way out where there isnt a possibility of me ever having to be around her again. Please help me.

Megan, as you were advised on the other legal forum - you don't meet the criteria for emancipation.

If you are being abused, call 911 and/or child protective services. You can actually do BOTH online - and since you obviously have online access....

Your great-aunt may file for guardianship of you, but if your Mom objects it is not likely to happen because your great-aunt will have to prove that your Mom is legally unfit and that is a terrifically high burden to meet.

Emancipation means that you are currently - or can prove to the court that you are able to be in the very near future - completely self-supporting. That means able to pay full market rent, utilities, food, clothing, health insurance, transportation - all while keeping good grades.

Not living with a relative or a friend, but completely self-supporting.

I'm sorry - I know that's not what you want to hear, but it is the legal reality.

Leaving, tonight. Calling Social Services in the morning and explaining to them the situation. And staying with my Aunt until someone can help me if they can. And then if they can't ill figure something else out until im 18.

Thank you. I appreciate your time. I'll use the only other option I have.

Your only LEGAL option is follow the instructions of your parent(s) until you are 18.

Should you choose to do anything but obey your mother, you will force your mother to exercise her LEGAL option of reporting you to the police.

Should anyone else (but your mom) harbor or shelter you, not only will you find yourself "detained"; the person(s) who assisted you will also find themselves in legal jeopardy.

Our actions lead to choices, our choices lead to consequences, please choose wisely!

Leaving, tonight. Calling Social Services in the morning and explaining to them the situation. And staying with my Aunt until someone can help me if they can. And then if they can't ill figure something else out until im 18.

You will find yourself in foster care or a group home. Running away makes you a delinquent. You aren't helping yourself at all. Anyone that takes you in risks being charged with an offense for contributing to your delinquency. Why put them at risk? Taking off like that only shows that you are not responsible enough to be on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back