Grandparent trying to get rights but her son gave up his parental rights..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerekaJo

I have let this family see their "granddaughter" even though, my child's biological father has given up his rights. And now their trying to say that I don't allow them to see her and what not. Now the grandparents are trying to get rights to her. Do they even have any legal rights to her, since their son gave up his rights?

I have let this family see their "granddaughter" even though, my child's biological father has given up his rights. And now their trying to say that I don't allow them to see her and what not. Now the grandparents are trying to get rights to her. Do they even have any legal rights to her, since their son gave up his rights?

Based on your wording of your post we can't answer.

By the phrase :
my child's biological father has given up his rights.

...Do you mean his VISITATION RIGHTS or his PARENTAL RIGHTS? Was this done in court or "just between the two of you"?

If the father was LEGALLY terminated of his PARENTAL RIGHTS, was a Step-Parent Adoption done? If so, how long AFTER this did you allow the GP to have contact with the child/ren? And how often did they see said child/ren?

Please answer ALL questions.

Thank You.
Bay

Yes, at the age of 6 months of my daughter, the father legally terminated his rights. And the step-father, at the time, never went through with the adoption and, we divorced two years later. She is now four and a half years old. Right after her first birthday his mother and sister asked me if they could see her at my house and I allowed them. After a while I started to allow them to take her for a few hours, when they would ask for her. I allow them to see her whenever they want, as long as I don't have something going on already or my daughter has something going on already. The mother and I got into an arguement about how she doesn't treat my daughter the same as the others and she yelled at me and I told her I didn't have to let them see her but I do. She was supposed to get my daughter from school the next day and spend a couple hours with her and she never showed. Now the grandmother is saying I am not allowing them to see her. The grandparents are wanting legal rights to her.

Then you need an attorney.

You've already set the precedent by allowing grandparent visitation after the father's rights were terminated; the courts may now want you to show why this should no longer be the case.

One of the stipulations I gave his parents was that he nor his new wife, at the time, were allowed to see her or be around her. And she violated that and started this huge arguement, and is going after some kind of rights, when I haven't said she can not see my child anymore yet.

One of the stipulations I gave his parents was that he nor his new wife, at the time, were allowed to see her or be around her. And she violated that and started this huge arguement, and is going after some kind of rights, when I haven't said she can not see my child anymore yet.

But without a court order, they were not bound by any verbal or informal stipulation.

But they can never have custody or what not to her, right?

Define "what not".

As I said, you have already allowed visitation after Dad's parental rights were legally terminated. They therefore may have standing to sue for court-ordered visitation.

theyre no longer grandpa and grandma

if dad terminted his rights, then his parents are no longer legally the grandparents, and she doesnt have to allow them to see her. i would think

if dad terminted his rights, then his parents are no longer legally the grandparents, and she doesnt have to allow them to see her. i would think

You thought wrong.

In Indiana, the grandparents are still legally considered "blood relatives" and can pursue visitation rights.

She doesn't have to allow visitation without a court order, but the grandparents are still entitled to request visitation from the court.

This is why termination of rights should not be done except in rare circumstances. Leaving the child without a legal father is not in the childs best interest and the bio grandparents can seek visitation. Now the child legally has no father.So she has been ditched by both the bio father and the adoptive step-father. How does that make any sense.

Rant over. I wonder if bio Dad has a case to overturn the adoption since the child was never adopted.

This is why termination of rights should not be done except in rare circumstances. Leaving the child without a legal father is not in the childs best interest and the bio grandparents can seek visitation. Now the child legally has no father.So she has been ditched by both the bio father and the adoptive step-father. How does that make any sense.

Rant over. I wonder if bio Dad has a case to overturn the adoption since the child was never adopted.

The father threatened well over several times my life and the child's and we had several restraining orders then. And the biological parent isn't seeking to get his rights back. And no one besides me, the mother, have supported this child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back