Breaking a Lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan71

There is a resident that owns a pitt bull and allows it wander around our apartment complex without a leash. If you come across it, it will stop, look you in the eye and growl at you. After this had happened a couple of times, I called management. Long story short, they took my complaints, called animal services, gave the resident notices and now say there is nothing they can do. I suffer from PTSD (NOT because of this issue, but it sure doesn't help) and the management knows this. So now I'm afraid to check my mail or go outside because of this dog. Is there a way I can get out of the lease without penalty? I am in Spokane Washington.
Thank you

Don't wait for management to call animal control... do it yourself. If the dog is in violation of a leash law or is not properly tagged, then insist that animal control take the dog.

If it were me... I would find a way to assist the wandering dog in getting lost.

Thank you. I asked the apartment managers if I could get the tenant's name so I could report him to animal control, and apartment manager said they already called them. Animal control apparently told them that they couldn't do anything because the incidents were on "private property". I'm stuck.

To answer your question regarding being able to get out of your lease without the risk of financial penalty over this matter; the answer is no.

Gail

If you don't know who the owner of the dog is, and if it is not tagged, then report it to animal control as a stray. The better option is to knock on doors until you find the owner and discuss the problem.
Or... you could leave the gate open... oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back