company trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

steiff

the company i work for has advised the workforce that they will no longer be allowing the hourly paid workers to use the company vehicles to travel to and from work ,(personaly i believe they just want to save money by not letting us take the trucks home) claiming that if in an accident we would not be covered by workmans comp because we would be using company vehicles whilst not being paid,
it was my understanding that all employees are covered by workmans comp to and from there place of work regardless of there means of transport ,
am i correct in this assumption?

it was my understanding that all employees are covered by workmans comp to and from there place of work regardless of there means of transport ,
Your assuption would be incorrect. First off, all states have diffrent worker's comp laws, so you need to tell us what state you are in. Secondly, in order for you or any other employee to be covered, an incident or accident rising out of and in the course of employment is what is considered for a workers comp claim. Traveling from home to work is not considered "out of the course of your employment." The same can be true if you are driving a company vehicle and you are on your way to a an event, business appointment, etc.... and you stop on the way for a personal errand. If you were to get in an accident during the course of the personal errand, you wouldn't be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back