What's my settlement worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conniemartinez8

I had an accident in a dump truck and broke my back. One vertebre was completely shattered and another fractured. It's been 21/2 years now. I have a worker's comp attorney. I am 20% permantly disabled. My attorney had told me at first that my case was worth a good bit and was asking for a settlement of $185,000. A few months ago he said he had gotten my records for my income from the company that I worked for and that my income was lower than he had expected. Now he's asking for $60,000.
I had thought that the settlement was based on the type of injury and had nothing to do with your income from the company. There is also the fact that the records for my income was from October to March. That is in the winter and I didn't work that much because of it being wintertime. In the spring, summer and most of fall, I would make a lot more money.
I would like to know if my income has to do with most of my settlement and if there is some way to show that I could have made more in the future.

Yes, bring to the attention of your attorney your income for the proceeding year prior to the injury!
If this attorney won't listen, then get another one!
Remember there is a lot that will be taken from any settlement and after you settle you'll be stuck with any medical bills (unless its kept open) so go slow and easy and don't let the attorney misguide you because s/he is wanting their peice of the pie now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back