Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Unlawful Possession of Marijuana and Paraphenila

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayPoi

A friend and myself were sitting in a car when a police officer walked up. My friend had marijuana on him, so the cop took us out of the car and searched up. The officer got 2 blunts and a little more weed from my friend. I had no marijuana on me. I got charged however. Now, I really don't want to tell my parents. I just want to put this event past me. When I contact the court do I have to bring a parent with me since I'm 17? I could also use some advice. Thanks.

Whether you have to bring your parents with you or not depends on the laws in your un-named state and the nature of the offense for which you have been charged. In my state of CA you would have to bring your parents. I imagine that since you are below the age of majority, you will have to bring a parent.

- Carl

On my ticket it says appearance date: within 14 days. Does that mean that I have to respond in 14 days to get a court date? Or that I have to show up within 14 days to the court for it? Thanks.

I would suggest you call the court to clarify. I imagine you have to make arrangements to pay or contest the citation within that time frame.

- Carl

Thank you very much CdwJava. Do you think I have a chance of fighting the ticket however, seeing how it wasn't my car nor was I holding any?

Possession is a crime of dominion and control. Not knowing the officer's account of events, I can't say what might happen. I'd say you have a better than even chance of not being charged provided you did not smell like smoked marijuana and it was not lit and in his hands when the officer came up on you.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back