husband wants to give away everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights41

My husband was recently diagnosed with a terminal disease. He wants to leave everything to his kids. Not just family heirlooms. All of "his money" with both make about the same he has no retirement. Altogther we maybe have $65000dollars he also wants to give his vehicles away. I might add his yuoungest kid is 30. I don't mind some but not all can he do this and to what degree.
Thanks for your help

If he is his money and his vehicles he can give them away while he is still alive and has capacity.

After he dies his estate will be divide according to his will or intestate. In most states you have a right to a portion of his estate even if you are left out of the will.

I don't know Nebraska family law but a family law attorney in your state can tell you if spouses are guaranteed a percentage.

You may be protected because the assets are in both names. Generally, if the vehicles and accounts are jointly owned, they will pass to you automatically when he dies. They don't form part of the estate, so he can't give them away in his will. You should see a lawyer to help you determine your rights.

I would also be concerned that he would try to give them away (at least the money in the account) while he's living. Getting a joint account that has nothing left in it won't do you much good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back