twenty day notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsnafu1221

this question is from washington state.

i received a twenty day notice on the fifteenth of last month which as i have read in the rcw 59.12.030(2) which states (2) When he or she, having leased property for an indefinite time with monthly or other periodic rent reserved, continues in possession thereof, in person or by subtenant, after the end of any such month or period, when the landlord, more than twenty days prior to the end of such month or period, has served notice (in manner in RCW 59.12.040 provided) requiring him or her to quit the premises at the expiration of such month or period; is illegal and i was wondering if i would be within my rights to give the landlord a note stating that since the twenty day notice is illegal that we would be moving out by the end of the month and to use the deposit as our last months rent which is legal in washington state.
also the rent is due on the first of the month but isn't late until the 10th of the month and i was wondering if that is maybe a loop hole he is using to give us the twenty day notice.
thanks for any advice
justin

Your landlord must give you this 20 day notice before the date of the next rent due. Your rent is due on the first of the month; therefore, notice should have been given 20 days prior to this.

Make sure that it IS legal for you to use your security deposit as your last months rent. This would be unusual.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back