Step Parent Adoption /Family in need!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesimpsongirl1

I live in Florida.
My husband wants to adopt my 7 year old son...
But we have problems...
My sons biological father will not consent to the Step Parent Adoption no matter what.We were never married!
My sons bio-father is registered sex offerender in the state of Florida and also has been convicted of a felony.
He has not been apart of my sons life for 5yrs mostly due to the fact he has been in jail up until Sept.Of 2007.Keep in mind my son is 7 years old.My sons bio-father does not pay child support yet and has not ever supplied support for the child in any way.My sons bio-father has also not had contact with my son in 5 years.
I do not know if all of this will make any difference in court .Will it?
I have talked with 3 lawyers in my area and have gotten mixed answers on every question I have or will be listing here.
I also was made by the state of Florida to file for child support or I would lose my medical insurance.Like I said befor that child support case has not gone to court yet but will very soon.If it does go to court can my husband still adopt my son?
With everything said about my sons bio-father do we really need his signature in order for my husband to adopt my son?
Will we need his signature if the child support case does go to court and he is made to pay ?
What does the courts look at in Step Parent Adoptions?
What if my sons bio-father makes more money than my husband and I ?Will that matter?
I was also 17 when my son was born and my sons bio-father was 19.Does this factor into the case or not?
Please Help me .
I thank you for your time in this matter.

I just want what is best for my son.My husband and I were married whaen my son was 2 and my son only knows my husband as Daddy.My son cannot understand why he does not Have the same last name as my husband and asks all the time for Mommy to fix it.I don't know how to go about any of this and cannot afford paying a lawyer $5000.00 which I have called and asked lawyers in my area and they said that it might be more than that.
I am an information hungry smart woman and would be willing to go this alone just need information on how or even if I can go forward with it at this point.
Please help.

Unfortunately, this is not something you can do without a lawyer. There are too many things that can go wrong.

In order for your husband to adopt your son, the father's parental rights will have to be terminated. I'm assuming that the father has been determined to be the legal father; that is, signed AOP or taken paternity test.

His status as a registered sex offender may help in terminating his rights involuntarily. However, the state will want him to provide support to reimburse their expenses for your son. That complicates things. TPR will remove future obligations.

You need a lawyer. You can contact legal aid to see if you qualify. Try these links:
http://www.floridalawhelp.org/FL/index.cfm
http://www.floridalegal.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back