Statute of Limitations for Traffic Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzmura

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He just got out of prison and is currently on parole. He is trying to get his California Driver's License, but was told there were holds placed on his license in Pennsylvania. He called Pennsylvania and was told he had to pay $25 to reinstate his license there, but there were current holds in North Carolina that needed to be taken care of as well. He called North Carolina and was told that he had tickets to take care of, but he had to come to North Carolina for court. The tickets are for speeding, running a stop sign and driving with a suspended license. My question is, what is the statute of limitations for traffic violations in North Carolina? The tickets are from 1995. Is there any way to find out the fines and pay them so we can take care of this from California, or do we have to go to North Carolina? Is there a risk of him being arrested?

Q: My question is, what is the statute of limitations for traffic violations in North Carolina?

A: The general answer is that most non-felony traffic violations must be filed within a year after they happen. Once filed, the statute of limitations stopped running.

It sounds like you will have to surrender in North Carolina and Pennsylvania to get these taken care of.

North Carolina Traffic Tickets

A North Carolina attorney will probably be able to take care of this for you but I expect the fines and legal fees are going to be expensive. Did you call the North Carolina DMV or the clerk of court? The clerk can tell you what to expect for the fines and give you the case numbers. Then contact an attorney that practices in that county and see what he recommends. If you need some references send me a private email.

Even after you take care of the court you may have to pay a reinstatement fee to the NC DMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back