Forced breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK6487

I work for CVS Pharmacy in Rhode Island and for two years they've been taking out half an hour every shift I work even though I never take the break. I've asked them about it and they tell me that they're legally able to take out the break even if I didn't take it, but they have never given me a reason. I've asked if there's a form I can sign to waive the break and thus get paid the half hour, but I was told no such waiver existed. I found this odd because I had previously signed a similar waiver with a previous company. Is the waiver on a company by company basis? Also, can they legally take out the half an hour every shift or should I be paid for it as long as I work it?

If you work the time, you have to be paid for it.

However, they may require that you take a break whether you want to or not, and they can discipline you up to and including termination for failing to do so. Just because other companies have allowed you to waive the break does not obligate this employer to do so. It is completely within their authority to force you to take a break whether you want to or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back