NYS Dangerous Dog Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

albanyf40

My pit bull was recently declared dangerous. He got out of my house and NIPPED the neighbors dog in the ear. In his 'defense' there were several people including the dogs elderly woman owner there that night who my dog did not go near. He got a little frisky with the dog and it resulted in a tiny scratch on the ear. The total vet bill was $89 for a visit and antibiotics. Even though I got a lawyer to go to court, unfortunately she was not that familiar with this type of case and felt the only way to save my dog from death was by pleading guilty to dangerous dog. I personally feel if it had not been for my breed of dog, this may of not happened or gone this far. My question is whether the restrictions placed on my dog by my local law is carried over to what ever city I may move to in NY. In other words, if I move from this town to another city, are the restrictions placed by my previous town enforced no matter where I move? And I guess I would also like to ask if I could somehow overturn this ruling if I can find an attorney confident in these matters.

Given it was a plea deal and you had a lawyer.........it would be hard to overturn. Ask your lawyer for the interpretation of the court's order. She would tell you if it applies in all states or county. I should think it would in most cases.

in ny, in order for the dog to be labeled dangerous, it must have first shown vicious propensities prior to an attack (which means that the dog needs to have committed a prior attack before this one in question). You can get relatives, friends etc who have had close contact with the dog and can testify for you that the dog was always friendly and never attacked anybody or any other animal before. you can argue that the dog was provoked by the other dog. if the dog has not shown prior vicious propensities (prior to this attack), then you are good and you can tell your lawyer this info. i dont know why she took your case if she is not familiar with these laws. the lawyer must zealously advocate for their client, meaning they should only accept cases they have experience with or they can learn with ease. dude, you should not have plead, you should have gotten a more knowledgeable attorney. i dont know if you can turn over the plea deal and court order, you gotta get another lawyer for that issue probably.

Last edited:
thank you

Thank you everyone for your help so far. I'm sorry my pc has been out of service or I would of posted sooner. As LeMaleNY suggested in his post, when I went to court I brought numerous letters from neighbors, co-workers, friends, etc. to show how peaceful my dog is. I brought a letter from the vet stating how healthy the other dog is and was after the problem. Before this incident there was never a problem with my dog that is why I cannot believe the reaction of my town for such a small incident. I am a middle aged woman who has lived in this town her entire life. I have never been arrested or had any problems with anyone. I cannot take back my choice in attorneys. The attorney I retained was recommended to me by the rescue where I adopted my dog. At the time I thought I had made a good choice. Now I realize that it was not. I plead guilty at that moment in court under her advice. She felt that if I would not plead guilty, the city's attorney had pretty much guaranteed her that the later outcome would not be good. So I did what I thought I had to in order not to have my dog killed. Since posting this I have received the following email from her: 'The dog was found dangerous pursuant to the local law, not state law, but since the local law is stricter than the state law, he would be deemed dangerous under the state law as well.' I am not an attorney but that seems to contradict itself. Does anyone know a way I can find out if the restrictions placed on my dog are for the entire state or just the city I presently live in? This has been my main concern and no one seems to be able to give me a definite answer. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back