VA 100 on 65mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfgh

i was ticketed for "reckless by speed" while commuting down to Virginia Tech on Labor Day. I had classes that morning and I came to know of it that morning itself that the university was open on Labor day also. So I was trying to cover a 4 hr distance in 3 and a half hours and did speed. I saw a sign for shell gas exit and I pushed more gas to get to that exit for restroom, gas and coffee. The highway (I-81S was nearly empty), the police officer was at the median and he got behind me. I saw him getting on the road and i slowed down. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket.( RockBridge County).

I am a student and increased auto insurance is my biggest concern. I drive an old 4 cylinder car and I've excellent grades at school. I'm 21 and this is the first time that I've gotten pulled over and Ive had my license for over 2 years with no warnings or tickets.

My court date is 5 weeks from now so I have time to prepare. I have decided to take Driving Improvement class this weekend. Please give me a free and frank advise on wether I should hire an attorney, or should I say the same story in court(myself) that I've typed in the 1st paragraph. And, can speed caliberation really help. Ant advise would be appreciated.

Take this very seriously. Scan the posts here and Google VA Speeding and you will find that if convicted, you will have a misdemeanor record, large fine, significant insurance increase, and in some VA courts risk spending time in jail .

It is doubtful anything in your first paragraph will make a positive difference. Any attempt to rationalize 100 mph will probably hurt you in court.

General consensus is to use an attorney given so much is at stake. For 100mph, the attorney may not even be able to help enough. Give a few a call to see what they can do for you and ask for references..

Thanks for replying. By references, you mean to ask other people to write letters for me? Do you happen to know what might happen if I plead guilty in court and ask for mercy.

Ask for references from the attorneys for people the recently represented. Give the people a call and ask if they were satisfied with the services of the attorney.

Spend a morning in court and watch what happens to people in similar circumstances (you are not alone).

No one can predict what pleading guilty and asking for mercy might do. It is a huge gamble that could cause you problems the rest of you life if you lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back