Abused 17 Year old Girl. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatieNole

My brother's 17 year old girlfriend is being emotionally abused by her mother. The mother lives with her boyfriend and they smoke marijuna and do not provide for the seventeen year old girl. The mother kicked the girl out of the house last night and she stayed with my 18 year old brother and my parents. My father called the police this morning because he did not want to be harbouring a runaway. The cops took my brother's girlfriend home back to her mother. According my brother, the mother took the door off her room and is making her life hell. My dad wants to try and seek custody of the girl. Is this possible? If so, what can he do?

The mother is now calling my parents and harrassing them for causing problems between her daughter and her. Claiming to file "rape" on my brother because he is 18 and the girl is 17.

My parents are freaked out and called me for advice. What can they do? They reside in Florida.

No, he can not get custody.
If there is, or if there has been a sexual relationship between the girl and her boyfriend, he had better distance himself before he ends up with criminal charges. Each state is different with laws regarding sex with minors... best to avoid it and not become a lifelong sex offender registrant.

bf's parents have no rights

My brother's 17 year old girlfriend is being emotionally abused by her mother. The mother lives with her boyfriend and they smoke marijuna and do not provide for the seventeen year old girl. The mother kicked the girl out of the house last night and she stayed with my 18 year old brother and my parents. My father called the police this morning because he did not want to be harbouring a runaway. The cops took my brother's girlfriend home back to her mother. According my brother, the mother took the door off her room and is making her life hell. My dad wants to try and seek custody of the girl. Is this possible? If so, what can he do?

The mother is now calling my parents and harrassing them for causing problems between her daughter and her. Claiming to file "rape" on my brother because he is 18 and the girl is 17.

My parents are freaked out and called me for advice. What can they do? They reside in Florida.
your parents have no legal rights or standing to this girl at all, shes not their child. no judge will allow her to live with her adult bf and his family. thers nothing they can do.

First lets deal with the easy one. Your brother has not committed a crime by having sex with her. The code is below. You must be over the age of 24 to have committed a crime when having sex with a person who is 16 or 17.

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose."

The others are correct in saying that your Father can't get custody. If the emotional abuse is serious you can get child services involved. If I were your father I would be very very careful getting involved beyond that. If she isn't being seriously hurt she just needs to grit her teeth and bear it until she turns 18, it isn't that long off.

Lewd and lavious acts is still on the table. A FL Mom I know tells the story of her 19 year old son who got 12 years (Hes currently still serving) for sex with his 16 year old GF. Rape may not be option but this charge could be. As CBG notes FL has some very strict laws in regards to sex with minors

theres nothing you can do

First lets deal with the easy one. Your brother has not committed a crime by having sex with her. The code is below. You must be over the age of 24 to have committed a crime when having sex with a person who is 16 or 17.

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose."

The others are correct in saying that your Father can't get custody. If the emotional abuse is serious you can get child services involved. If I were your father I would be very very careful getting involved beyond that. If she isn't being seriously hurt she just needs to grit her teeth and bear it until she turns 18, it isn't that long off.

exactly. you and your parents could face charges of interfering with parental custody and contributing to a minor. and mom could get a restraining order against you keeping you away from her daughter, violate it, and you go to jail.

Jacks, we had a similar problem here in GA. The consent laws said 16 but the aggravated child abuse laws said 18. There was a fellow sentenced under that discrepancy. The GA Supreme Court overturned it because they couldn't imagine that the legislature meant that it was ok to have sex but fondling at the same age would get you 10 years!

That case changed the laws here in GA. I would imagine the same appeal would apply there. Laws can be screwy. There is no magic to the age of 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back