Zipcar Accident - liability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryn

Hello,

I know very little about law, but perhaps someone can help enlighten me on this issue with a recent accident of a zipcar.

Since I rarely drive and am nervous about driving in NYC, a business associate of mine is the registered member of an account with Zipcar, a car-sharing / rental company, so that he can drive me when the occasion arises. In any case, although he is the member, it is registered under my credit card.

Recently, we rented the car to run some errands. The car was parked legally in the vicinity. When we came back, to our horror, we discovered a surface level scratch that went from one end of the car to the other. The scratch was bright yellow, which brings to mind a taxi cab. We did not witness the accident, but we reported it to the local authorities and took photos.

Now we are told we are liable for it, but we would like to try to see if Visa, my credit card company, would cover the damage. The tricky part is, since the registered member is not myself, but my business associate, is there any way I can still file a claim, legally, and have any hope of it going through? Another issue is, from what I've read, Visa doesn't consider Zipcar a car rental company, even though Mastercard and American Express do. It seems like a matter of semantics, but is there any way I can fight them on that as well?

Please advise. Thank you so much!

Any update here?

Be interested to know your final outcome? I've have an unresolved issue with them too:
peoplevszipcar.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back