Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft wrongly accused of theft and forgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSure

I am being charged with Forgery and Theft, below is the basic history of what is going on. I had 2 police officers show up at my door (6hours away from there town) I let them in and they threaten to take me and my wife to jail for a federal crime and threaten to take my kids away depending on how well I cooperated. They pretty much threaten me into giving a statement on a recorded.

I was contacted 2 years ago by a family member, they said some people in another city/state where looking for me, when those people contacted me they said it was in regards to a check they recieved with my name on. They said they opened the mail (not belonging to them) and have been searching for the correct person to hand it over too. The name on the check was my complete name, the check was from the US Department of Treasury , in the amount of $20,000+. This made me paranoid about these people, so I contacted the USDT and asked for info regarding why they would be sending me a check. They said they had no way to know, they could tell me nothing. The people who opened the check where insistent it was mine (as they found no other people in the US with my name) so they wanted an address to send it to. I gave them a PO box, when I recieved the check in the mail I took it to a bank, opened an account with it. The bank said it would take 7 - 10 buisness days to clear and verify it was mine and legit, due to the large amount. Everything went through fine, at this point I felt I did everything I was legaly obligated to do. But today 2 officers showed up and say I took a check that wasnt mine and cashed it. Evidently there is someone else with my exact name. I really need help they are telling me i am going to jail for 6-13 years and going to have to pay all this money back, any advice would be greatful thank you

There is not much advice I can give you for now………..We don't know what they allege your involvement was…….You need to see their police reports to know why they believe you are involved before knowing how to defend yourself or the best route to take. There is a lot of evidence which would be available to you and your lawyer in the near future….
Have you received the police reports?
Were you arrested and charge? What were you charged with?
How do they allege you carried out the scam?
The biggest mistake is cashing and using money without knowing whom it belongs to…….That is hard to explain in court. Let's see their report before we can assist you. If you have very personal info on your case, you can send a private message……………Remember this forum is public. But for the above questions, you can just give answer in forum………

ok thanks , alot for your reply , I have been waiting to hear from them , thay have only taken a statement from me , I didnt steal anything or forge anything , all I did was sign my name to the check (check had my name on it). This was a real check from the US department of treasury. I am the only one involved in the matter, and according to the police I "took" a check that wasnt mine and cashed it (I did not take anything,it was mailed to me), they are saying that this is their case against me and thats all they have to go on. The bank is the ones pressing charges and the US department of treasury is not involved, they took there money from the bank. I set up a bank account using all my identification , my drivers liscence and social security card , I did nothing that would even seem remotely like a scam, there was no scam, just a huge case of wrong identity with out anyway of knowing. I will post more info as i get it , thanks for your help and advice thus far

Lets wait and see all their reports and evidence to know the best course of action. We need more to give accurate advice........keep us posted......

I am sorry i have not posted in a long time , I wish now that I would have ..... My court situation is over but I feel I was violated. I was charged with theft or propert, The charges where filed by the bank and the bank only. Standing in the court room in front of the judge the prosecutor steped over to my lawyer and said " you know, I don't understand why we are even here, this should could have been handled in civil court" this is after 8 months or more of PAYING my lawyer to represent me - i did not have a public defender (not that this really matters but I thouhgt I would be better off ) the entire time my lawyer handled my case he was stuck on the theft charge, he never told me theft of "property" and led me to believe I would come out of this just fine. But in court he came to me and said I would have to take the plea bargain they offered, which is plead guilty to theft of property (for a check I deposited that was made out to me) my lawyer scared me into taking the plea bargain and said he basicly couldnt do anything else for me, and if I didnt take it there wasnt much he could do. I was forced to appear before a judge and charged with a crime and basicly manipulated into pleading guilty to a crime that was never commited (according to arkansas state law there was never any theft of property commited) all without ever being arrested or booked on the charges. I was placed on 3 years probation and I now have to pay $700 a month and abide by the normal probation rules. The prosecutor said to the judge in court that I did not commit forgery. So my question remains, how did i commit theft, I didnt steal anything, the bank issued me the money and verified the check using all my personal information. The kicker is, in the probation office the day after court I was forced to go to the jail and turn my sefl in to get booked, even the police where puzzled and had no idea what to do or why I was in the jail or how I could have even appeared in court without being booked - I seriously think my lawyer did a terrible job played both sides of the fence and that my rights where very much violated --- mafioso, I desperatly need your help, I don't know where else to turn at this point, I am out of money and out of answers -- I am stressed out very bad and may have left our important information , so If there is anything else you would need to know in order to help me please ask - Thanks in advance

---NotSure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back