Wrongly accused of Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeplor

Today I was at (discount store) entered the dressing room with a dress (found security tag in pocket) promptly exited to look for an associate could not locate one so I returned to the dressing room with 3 pairs of pants amd a shirt. One pair of pants and shirt I hung on the rack outside of the room and tried on the other two. Nothing fit; I put the pants in their home outside of the dressing room and gave my cart of merchandice to an associate to put away. Left the store without a problem and even stood outside for a bit without issue. An hour or so later the state police were at my home arresting me for shoplifting. I had old Nike pants on (size M accused of stealing kids S) & told I was seen on camera stealing. I asked to see the video and stated that I didn't steal anything but the cop said that I was just making up more lies. What can I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple. Keep quiet about it until you have an attorney. Ask for one when you go to court. Don't talk to police or try to explain anything to anyone other than your lawyer.
The burden is on them to prove you took something.

Today I was at Kohls entered the dressing room with a dress (found security tag in pocket) promptly exited to look for an associate could not locate one so I returned to the dressing room with 3 pairs of pants amd a shirt. One pair of pants and shirt I hung on the rack outside of the room and tried on the other two. Nothing fit; I put the pants in their home outside of the dressing room and gave my cart of merchandice to an associate to put away. Left the store without a problem and even stood outside for a bit without issue. An hour or so later the state police were at my home arresting me for shoplifting. I had old Nike pants on (size M accused of stealing kids S) & told I was seen on camera stealing. I asked to see the video and stated that I didn't steal anything but the cop said that I was just making up more lies. What can I do?

Did the Police locate the alleged stolen item? You can view this video as part of discovery process. As stated above until more is done you do nothing other than consult an Attorney. If DA views tape and you did not steal then video will show that and DA will drop case probably

As suggested, start by getting an attorney & speak only with your attorney. He/she will help you.

I would hope no loss prevention professional would use a pocketed sensor as probable cause for a case. Those sensors are routinely found in pockets so much so that it is rarely even reported to lp when they are found. there must be more to this than just that or give it a couple of weeks and that lp agent won't be in their employ any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back