Wrongful Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecammorto

Hello,

My name is Eloise Cammorto, I am 65 years old and I was recently fired from my position as a Surgical Instrument Technician at Dekalb Medical Center. I worked for this hospital for 13 years with a two year sabbatical in between. I have done my very best to excel at my job and I did just that. I have the test scores and evaluations to prove just that.
I was the employee that management looked to to cover them when they were not there. I managed the shift in their absence, I covered numerous people who just didn't show up or had no clue as to what they were doing. The manager would call me from home and ask me to go up to the hospital and help the team when he could not get up there. This happened on my days off.
On the weekend of July 4th, 2008, I was off that Friday, Saturday and Sunday. When I returned to work on Monday, I was called in to the office and told that I was being let go. I asked why and was informed that a utensil was sent up to the nursery with bioburden on it and was subsequently used in the circumcision of a newborn. While I can see that it may have happened, what I do not understand is how I was the only one reprimanded and fired because of it. It passed through at least three other people including the doctor who used it. I do not understand how it was not seen prior to it being used since I know for a fact that if this happened in the past, it was sent back down and redone. The equipment that I was using was faulty and my past history and work record was never even taken into consideration. On top of that, They insured that I could not receive unemployment benefits as well. My job was my only support system and I no longer can receive my health insurance. I suffer from severe High Blood Pressure and I need my medication that I now cannot afford.
My major dilemma with this is that I did not receive a fair shake in this. I was gone for 3 days and all of a sudden this.... I was not called at home and told anything was wrong. Oh, I also fell on the job 3 weeks prior to this and was given the shaft then.
I truly do not appreciate the way that I was treated, and the fact that they could not even show up to the appeal hearing speaks volumes to me. I need someone who is willing to fight for me.

Respectfully,
Eloise Cammorto:

Eloise:

The term "wrongful termination" does not mean what most people think it means.

I can read your post two ways and I do not know which way it was intended. One way, you may have a valid claim of wrongful termination; the other way, you do not.

I do not want to put words in your mouth.

So that I can give you accurate advice, please tell me what you think was "wrongful" (i.e. illegal) about your termination. If I know which way you intended the post to read, I will know the likelihood of this being truly wrongful. (I'll give you both answers anyway ;) )

Eloise:

Hello,

My name is Eloise Cammorto, I am 65 years old and I was recently fired from my position as a Surgical Instrument Technician at Dekalb Medical Center. I worked for this hospital for 13 years with a two year sabbatical in between. I have done my very best to excel at my job and I did just that. I have the test scores and evaluations to prove just that.
I was the employee that management looked to to cover them when they were not there. I managed the shift in their absence, I covered numerous people who just didn't show up or had no clue as to what they were doing. The manager would call me from home and ask me to go up to the hospital and help the team when he could not get up there. This happened on my days off.
On the weekend of July 4th, 2008, I was off that Friday, Saturday and Sunday. When I returned to work on Monday, I was called in to the office and told that I was being let go. I asked why and was informed that a utensil was sent up to the nursery with bioburden on it and was subsequently used in the circumcision of a newborn. While I can see that it may have happened, what I do not understand is how I was the only one reprimanded and fired because of it. It passed through at least three other people including the doctor who used it. I do not understand how it was not seen prior to it being used since I know for a fact that if this happened in the past, it was sent back down and redone. The equipment that I was using was faulty and my past history and work record was never even taken into consideration. On top of that, They insured that I could not receive unemployment benefits as well. My job was my only support system and I no longer can receive my health insurance. I suffer from severe High Blood Pressure and I need my medication that I now cannot afford.
My major dilemma with this is that I did not receive a fair shake in this. I was gone for 3 days and all of a sudden this.... I was not called at home and told anything was wrong. Oh, I also fell on the job 3 weeks prior to this and was given the shaft then.
I truly do not appreciate the way that I was treated, and the fact that they could not even show up to the appeal hearing speaks volumes to me. I need someone who is willing to fight for me.

Respectfully,
Eloise Cammorto
The reason that I feel that I was wrongfully terminated is that first of all, I was not even there, I had three days off prior to finding out about this. If this had happened the way they say that it did, they would have contacted me at home. they did not. The utensil went through three or four other people Including the doctor who then used it and did not claim anything wrong until after he used it. I have never had any problems with my position that would warrant anything like this. I do not know why they did this, I just know that they are wrong. Thank YOu

If you are correct, that is not a wrongful termination under the law. Wrongful termination does not mean that you were terminated for something you did not do; it means that you were terminated for a reason prohibited by law.

But I am always suspicious when a long term employee over 50 is terminated for what seems a minor reason. If you were REALLY terminated because you are 65 and they simply used the excuse of the dirty utensil as a pretext, THAT would be a wrongful termination.

Does your employer typically terminate employees for this kind of issue?

I will look into that and get back to you. I forgot to include that 4 weeks prior to my termination I fell on the job and was forced to go back to work within 6 days. I still suffer from problems with my leg and I always thought that my age and the fall had something to do with my firing because they had no other reason. They handled my accident which was due to their faulty equipment, the wrong way but I never knew what I could do about it.
Thank You

If they are looking for an excuse to fire you because of your age, THAT is a wrongful termination. Likewise it would be illegal to fire you because you filed a workers comp claim for the fall - did you?

no, because I never thought about it. I thought I was in good standing with these people and that would cause problems for them. I used bad judgement and I pray it is not to late. I have all the paperwork from the fall and all the information needed. I will let you know what I find out by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back