wrongful termination or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

squash

was wrongfully terminated for using coupons. I was terminated for using multiple coupons on a purchase. I was unaware that you can use only one coupon per transaction. I was told by one of the managers questioning me that you can use as many coupons as you want if you are a customer however, if you are an employee you can not. At the time of purchase I was off the clock therefore, I was a customer at the time. I did not at either time use my employee discount only the coupons that I had received from home. Each time I was rung up it was by a manager and/or they check my receipt before I left the store. They only had three transaction when I had used more than one coupon. One from this year and two from last year. There are other associates who have done this and have not gotten in trouble for this. I have also been harassed at my job and when I went to corporate about the situation this incident came up and I was let go.

What you describe is not a wrongful termination under the law.

A wrongful term does not mean what most people think it means. It does not mean a termination that is unfair or unexpected. It does not mean a termination that violates company policy. It does not mean being fired for something you didn't do.

Unless there is a specific law which prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did, it is not a wrongful termination.

The reason I feel wrongful termination because my managers are the ones who can ring us up. Therefore my manager wrong me up for the purchase and a month later fired me.

There is no law prohibiting your employer from firing you a month after it happens, nor is there any law prohibiting them from firing you when the manager could have noticed the error at the time.

It may or may not be unfair. It is not illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back