Wrongful Termination, may have been used as Scapegoat

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomc

State: California (Riverside County)

My former employer has 2 offices in California, and several offices out of state as well. It is a construction company which receives multi-million dollar contracts with the DoD. As such, it is doing very well (even in the current economic climate). The president of the company actually had dinner with Obama.

I began working for my employer last August (2009) as a general laborer. Ever since then, I worked at 110%, often having 12 hour days. Everything went well until the last couple of weeks. The company began having problems with the base, presumably regarding the building I was working at. I had overheard my supervisor getting heat from upper management for things he hadn't been doing right.

My coworker and I (it was just a 2 man crew) just did our jobs. Two weeks ago, our hours began to get cut. The week before last, I worked 16 hours... last week, I worked 10. The last day I went, I got a phone call and was told (in very general terms) that the base and the company would be holding a meeting regarding the building, and that I wouldn't be working until they got the situation sorted out. Never did I get a hint that I had done something wrong.

After a week, we began calling the supervisor to ask what was going on. He said they were still negotiating.

Today I got a phone call from HR stating that my "position was being eliminated" because there was "no more work to go around". My coworker also got the call.

I am convinced that my coworker and myself were used as scapegoats for something my supervisor did. After all, I/we did nothing wrong. I just did what I was told.

What is the suggested course of action?

Thank you.

File for unemployment. In order for this to be a wrongful termination (this is a legal phrase), your termination had to have been in violation of some law (for example, because of your race, gender, religion, etc.), or a violation of public policy (such as being fired for filing a Work Comp claim or reporting an alleged violation of law to the appropriate regulatory authority, for example, a safety violation being reported to OSHA).

"Unfair" does not a wrongful termination make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back