? Wrongful termination (caution - long winded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfiske

My jurisdiction is: NH

I think I may have been fired for behavior exhibited as a result of side effects from the medication I am taking for my bipolar disorder. I had worked for a pain clinic, as an RN, for 6 years. I worked in the recovery room 2 days a week and provide patient education 2 days a week. The company employs approximately 80 people. All administrative staff were well aware of the fact that I was bipolar and a recovering alcoholic, it was a subject that was openly discussed. I had not experienced any difficulties with my disorder that affected my job performance until this summer. For the last 4 years, I have taken a medication called Lamictal, which is a neuroleptic used to stabilize my mood. I also take an antidepressant, an anti-anxiety medication and a low dose narcotic for chronic hip pain. Over the past couple of years I have experienced 2 episodes that included staggering gait, double vision, and subsequent nausea and vomiting. Both episodes began after I had arrived at work and subsided within a few hours. I offered to have my husband come and get me but both times was told it was ok for me to stay. After each of these episodes my psychiatrist changed what he thought was the offending medication, but left the Lamictal intact. Over the past year I have fallen at least once a week. I thought I wasn't picking my feet up enough because I have one hip that has been replaced and one that needs to be done.
This past summer I experienced a hypo-manic state that caused a lot of irritability and anxiety. The hypo-manic state turned into a manic episode over Labor Day weekend. I unfortunately tried to kill myself by taking an overdose of my psychiatric medications. I was admitted and discharged home the next day. I had to call in sick the following day, which was not the norm for me. I chose not to share my suicide attempt with my co-workers. My psychiatrist added Lithium to my enormous list of pills I have to take and Seroquil, a psychiatric medication with a strong sedating effect, to help me sleep. I took 4 doses of the Seroquel and the 5th dose caused a significant reaction in which I was very foggy and confused. I wasn't really aware of how affected I was until I got to work I was doing education that day and not the recovery room, so I wasn't to worried about my fogginess, which I thought would pass with in an hour or two. Unfortunately, the side effects did not cease until later that evening. I threw the seroquil away.
Approximately 1 week later I was approach by my supervisors, who wanted to discuss my "slurred speech" and "staggering gait" noticed by my coworkers from time to time. There was also a patient complaint that while he was having an education session, I seemed to not know what I "was suppose to teach, was giggling and squirming around" as if I were in "pain". I tried to explain that I had suffered a reaction to my psychiatric medication, but I got the distinct feeling they thought I was misusing my medication instead. I was told to take a week off and "get my shit together" and that I should "go to a lot of meetings". I tried to tell them that all the meetings in the world weren't going to change the fact that the problem was my bipolar disorder and my medication. I also told them that I had just started taking Lithium and it was beginning to kick in. Their reply was "don't make me drug test you!" I offered and they declined.
I returned to work the following week in a very stable state. One of the supervisors advised me to call in sick if I even thought I was having a reaction. Unfortunately, the very next day I experienced the worst reaction to a medication I have ever endured. I had severe double vision, total inability to maintain my balance, slurred speech, nausea and vomiting. I also thought I was writing and speaking appropriately but was told I was slurring my speech and what I thought I had written coherently was just a bunch of gibberish. I was not at all aware that I was having problems. This lasted for 3 days and I called in all 3 days. On the 3rd day I received a phone call from one of the supervisor who told me they did not need me any more, so I didn't need to bother to come back. I was told that my absences were causing a problem because no one knew what I really did and it was inconvenient for someone to cover (In reality - no one needed to "cover" for me, my education patients could be rescheduled) I tried to explain that I was just doing what I was told and I was having horrific trouble managing my bipolar disorder. I told them that the medication, Lamictal, had been responsible for the slurred speech, the staggering gait, the falling etc. all along. I pleaded with them to talk to my psychiatrist, who could verify the information I was giving to them. I was told that If my psychiatrist could provide a letter by the end of the day they would consider allowing me to stay. I contacted my psychiatrist and he said he would fax a letter to them (but did it the next day). A few days later, I was contacted by HR and asked where would I like to meet them so they could deliver my belongs to me. I was never allowed back in the building.
I am really sorry that this was so long winded, but I'm afraid if I left anything out, it might alter your advice. I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to tell my story to someone that might be able to steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back