Wrongful eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanimechick

I'm asking this on behalf of my mother.. She was suddenly evicted from her apartment without any notice. The landlord came with the local chief of police and put all of her belongings in storage and my mom was left with her 14 year old son and nowhere to go. This was in the middle of winter and they had to hop from a shelter to friends' houses and family's houses. She is going to court soon and needs to know what kind of figure she should be asking for. Of course this has called a lot of stress and mental anguish for her and my brother and she has had to pay for the storage bill or her belongings will be auctioned off. What kind of amount would properly compensate her without having the judge just dismiss it as being excessive?

A landlord would not evict someone for no reason or without giving proper notice; however, those who do that are not too bright and are asking for big time trouble... that being said, if she can prove to the courts that this was really the case, she has grounds to try to recover damages; however, she needs to be prepared to counter what the landlord will present as evidence as far as why she was evicted. Can't give you a figure because we don't know what your mom's rent was and only the magistrate can determine what is appropriate if damages are awarded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back