Wrong Vin

Angelsquirrel

Jurisdiction
Texas
We purchased a new vehicle and was pressed into buying an extended warranty. After signing contract I reviewed the fine print that same night and noticed that we could cancel extended warranty. I called the dealership and got all sorts of explainations, however we agreed that we could sign a new contract without the warranty. As we started to sign the new contract, the finance manager comes in and starts yelling at me stating that was fine but he was raising the price of the vehicle. I enforced no. After a half hour of being yelled at we signed the contract without warranty.

Now, 2 weeks after the dealership calls and states that we are in the wrong vehicle and must return it. The vins do not match. We have already customized the vehicle we are in and it was the only one we even test drove. The dealership told us not to worry and they would fix it. A week later I am getting notifications that my credit has taken some hard hits. The dealership is still trying to finance us a vehicle but raising the price of financing. They called today and stated that they could not get financing on the vehicle that we are currently in. I asked why are you trying to get financing the vehicle we test drove was already financed. The dealership said we had to pay more for the vehicle we are in, which is ridiculous as other dealerships have it advertised for the same amount. We had put $13,000 down and they already cashed the check. I told the dealership that I was not paying more for that vehicle, as it was the only one we test drove and we made a deal on the numbers. Now the dealership said they are going to report it stolen because we have no paperwork saying we bought that vehicle. We are out a lot of money from the down payment and customization and I don't know what to do. It's driving me crazy. I am a teacher and if they report it stolen and I get arrested, then I lose my job. Please help!

I don't know if this is the best legal advice, but I might be tempted to go on in and ask them to please call the police to help get this straightened out. Stick to your guns and refuse to sign anything else that does meet the terms of your original agreement, but if you do in fact have a vehicle in your possession that you do not have any paperwork for, it does need to be resolved.

The answers you seek are hidden in plain view among the mountain of papers you signed.

Somewhere it mentions "contingent" upon credit approval.

If the credit isn't approved, the car you THOUGHT you were buying, you'tr only RENTING at rates that would embarrass Hertz or Avis.

The issue with the VIN might be your way out, well at least easing the pain you'll soon feel in your finances.

TX AG, might be able to offer more guidance:

Consumer Protection - Buying a Car Used or New

If the AG can help, good luck getting a response or action in less than two, three, four, or MORE weeks!!!

Start documenting everything, as best you an recall.

Also, if the dealer says return the car, do so IMMEDIATELY.

Yes, sigh, people in your unfortunate position do get shafted more with car theft charges.

I don't know if this is the best legal advice, but I might be tempted to go on in and ask them to please call the police to help get this straightened out.

This is not a police matter. The police will not go anywhere near this.

Back