Wrong Name on Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomandjerry

Colorado

Hi everyone,

Today I recieved a speeding ticket for driving 48 in 30mph zone. The officer wrote out the ticket and wrote down all of my information including driver's license number, size, height, etc...

The car is registered under my father's name, so my name isnt on most of the paperwork.

Anyway, the officer wrote down all of my information but my dads first name and middle initial. Since we arent the same size, height, etc... I think this could be used to get the ticket dismissed.

Should I just have my dad go to court and say, "This isnt my size or driver's license number, I shouldnt be getting this ticket."?

Thanks for any input

An attorney might be able to get it dismissed, your chances are slim to none. They can always reissue the ticket with the correct name. Did you have to sign the ticket? If so then you have to appear.

I signed the ticket.

Why would I have to appear if the court date is scheduled for my dad?
All the more reason for it to be dismissed.
My dad didnt sign the ticket.

I signed the ticket.
Why would I have to appear

Well maybe because by signing the ticket you were released from arrest on personal recognizance. Not showing is a FTA and a warrant can be issued for your own special taxi ride to jail. They usually serve these after 5pm on a Friday so you can enjoy the beans and potato salad until the judge comes in on Monday morning. Is it worth the chance just for a traffic ticket?

My original reply stands.

I would say so.

Of course you can try and not show. They will probably just issue a warrant to arrest your father. Eventually it would probably come back to haunt you though.

By not showing up it will make things worse in the long run. The thing you should be worried about is the license number. When they call you in court they will read the name on the ticket and you can explain that it is not your name but your received the citation, (and then let the judge make the officer look stupid). If you do not show up they will use the license number on the citation to issue a warrant or suspend your license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back