Wrong information on ticket and no proof - do I have a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous12345

I was driving through a checkpoint with 35 mph signs put up (it's normally a 45 mph area). I was pulled over by an officer who claimed that I was driving at an "unsafe speed of 40 mph," but did not have any proof that I was. When I told him that this was a 35 mph zone, he said "Even though it says 35 mph you should still be driving well below that speed."

He gave me a speeding ticket that says the safe speed is 25 mph when it says 35 on the signs. There is nothing under the "radar" section, meaning he only eyeballed my speed.

Do I have a fighting chance for this ticket?

Last edited:
The officer's word against yours, what do you think?
HINT: He or she is paid to be believed.

Sometimes a traffic law attorney can be of help if you believe it is worth talking to one.

What code section were you cited for? Was it VC 22350?? Or, something else?

For this to stand the officer will have to testify and explain the circumstances that made you speed unsafe. Was there a lot of pedestrian traffic? Bad weather conditions? Maybe a baby duck crossing the road?
Whatever you do, don't admit to driving 40 in the 35 zone. Let the officer explain how his calibrated eyeballs determined your speed. You need to argue that your speed was not unsafe. I'm assuming you were cited 22350. I've seen those dismissed a number of times because the officer could not explain WHY it was unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back