Consumer Law, Warranties Written Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ads23

A client and I had agreed, via Email, that we would conduct business together. At a certain point, I needed some time to handle some personal situations, at which point I informed my client of this need. My client concurred and I proceeded. Later this client decided that things were taking too long and hired a lawyer. This client is now suing me for the total amount she had paid out. There were unfortunately no formal contracts, only agreements via Email. There were likewise no invoices or receipts for the funds received. The client lives in a different state and I conducted business in Oregon. I do not feel this client is owed the entire amount as I have all ready worked countless hours on the project, still, tne client attests that they are owed the entire amount. What sorts of things could I do to protect myself? I cannot afford a lawyer since I just spent so much during a custody battle, and my client is wealthy enough to afford the best. I am to reply by the 7th of this month. Any options you could give me would be most welcome. Thank you.

Where is the lawsuit?

The lawsuit originates from Colorado, which is where my client is from.
I have thus far found a few Emails in which the client agreed to several things that they are now alleging as breach of contract; however, I imagine there must be some statute or business related law that protects my business. I am a small business and cannot afford to reimburse someone simply because they have changed their mind. I appreciate your assistance and hope that this all works out. Thank you.

If it has to do with money you them. Best advice, pay up or find yourself in acostly legal battle.

Crissy.

Indeed the client feels that I should reimburse them the entire amount that has been paid to date, however, I do not feel that I owe them this amount. I would be willing to work out a fair deal; however, I reiterate that I am a small company and I don't think that I should be legally responsible for simply refunding a client in a situation like this. I have been heavily researching the UCC and Oregon Law. Thus far I have found a few things which do protect my business, though I am still looking for something to help clear up the amount to be refunded. This is a tough situation indeed. I retain faith though, something will work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back