1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Wouldn't this be feasible?

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by Genichka, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genichka

Genichka Law Topic Starter New Member

Okay coming from a person who is unemployed but recieves unemployment and has one years worth of rent (based off of $650 a month) saved up and not that great of credit:

Would I be able to rent a place?
    I told one place of my situation and told them that I would be able to pay the lease upfront and was told that they don't accept pre-payment (well that the management doesn't accept pre-payment). I find it sort of odd that they wouldn't accept that. I even called the city's Housing Authority and asked and they even found it odd, so what gives? Why wouldn't a place accept that from someone who is unemployed?

2. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Many places refuse prepayment and there are many good reasons for this.

3. Genichka

Genichka Law Topic Starter New Member

But WHY?
    When they have people that (from what I've read in the bankruptcy forum) who have BK on record and are told they have to pay a couple months rent upfront or put down a large deposit,and that's okay?

4. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

These are two different situations. Besides there is no law that forces a Landlord to accept such terms

5. Gail_in_Georgia

Gail_in_Georgia Moderator

Legally they don't owe you an explanation as to why they follow this policy.

Gail

6. MorgansDaddy

MorgansDaddy New Member

Here is an idea, find a rental place that will agree to those terms. OR, if you can get approved to move into a place that won't accept the money for the year lease up front, place the money you have saved in a savings account, taking out the money to cover the rent each month while your balance draws interest.