Starting a Business Would using this company name be a possible lawsuit?

P

pengu

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I'm looking into starting an online SaaS company. The name I would like to use was originally the name of a project originally started by a rather large and well known computer company in 2004. The project is no longer maintained and the original domain is actually for sale.

I've looked online but I do not see any copyrights or trademarks on the name. My question is would it be safe to use this name without fear of a lawsuit?

I'm looking into starting an online SaaS company. The name I would like to use was originally the name of a project originally started by a rather large and well known computer company in 2004. The project is no longer maintained and the original domain is actually for sale.

I've looked online but I do not see any copyrights or trademarks on the name. My question is would it be safe to use this name without fear of a lawsuit?

I suggest you retain an attorney to advise you as you proceed with your business endeavors.

You'll be charging for your services, so you should pay for services needed by your business.

Are you willing to risk your wealth based on free advice from unknown people off the Internet?

I can only wonder where you looked to determine whether a trademark exists. And even if no federal trademark is registered, it's very possible that the other company has a common law or state trademark which can be enforceable on a state level or local area / city. These are not matters that are best handled by yourself, especially when potential infringement of a well known trademark is at stake.

Back