Would like to get religous propaganda removed from a federal website

Status
Not open for further replies.

airman

Hello,

The National parks service should not be promoting any religion but I recently found out that the National Park Service website has a page with 3 religious propaganda videos.

I complained to the park service and got an unacceptable response.

I have also contacted my senators and congressman.

This is just plain propaganda and it needs to be removed and I am thinking that maybe there is a legal recourse through the courts.

However I have no funds for this but was thinking that perhaps I might be able to pursue it on my own as a private citizen on a DYI basis.

Is that possible? How can I get started? I looking for some direction and advice.

Thanks, Dave.

p.s. argh I spelled religious wrong in the thread subject :-(

Last edited:
What, exactly, are these "propaganda" videos? What is it that you consider "religious?"

Thanks for the response.

I can get you information but I am not sure how that effects the process I am inquiring about.

Does it effect the process? I was not trying to seek a judgement from this group.

What I mean is that perhaps you and I see it differently (as the NPS and I differ) and I do not want to start an arguement.

That argument is for the court to decide, correct?

Dave

Last edited:
hi CdwJava,

Here is the info that you requested.

Here is the page => nps.gov/wori/photosmultimedia/multimedia.htm

Scroll down a little bit to see the 3 videos.

I withold my opinions about for now so you can examine without interference.

Thanks, Dave.

The context and content of such things is important, hence the reason I asked.

I note that at the very top of the page there is a disclaimer as to the source of the videos and why they are there. Being that the park service is also tasked with education activities, and these videos would appear to serve some educational function even if one might disagree with it, they seem to fulfill a legitimate purpose.

I would think you would have a difficult time getting any action to remove them. And, quite honestly, the ACLU is not likely to get involved given the subject matter of these videos.

I don't see that you have any realistic shot at forcing anyone to remove them, but you have the right to try.

Just because the video addresses a religious issue does not mean it is inappropriate content fir a government website.
The Constitution prevents the enactment of any law establishing a preference of religion while at the same time allowing for free expression of religious beliefs.
This is often taken to the extreme when one tries to apply it to situations such as this. Are the videos an act of government requiring obedience to Islamic beliefs, or are the videos an exercise of free expression and tolerance for differing religious views?
Given the disclaimer that states right away the videos were not made with taxpayer funds and were donated by a non profit group, it seems any argument about inappropriate content is more likely to be dismissed as intolerance.
You would likely have a better argument for removing "In God We Trust" from our currency.

Agree with other responders - I don't see much of a case & I would not pursue. It's up to you though.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't like the videos being there but it sounds like a lost cause.

I will very likely drop the issue then.

I appreciate your respones and do also wonder this for future reference; in general how does one pursue such things? What is the legal process and can a hack like me (retired engineer) engage in it? Or maybe I should ask; what should I go look up and read about to answer my question?

Thanks, Dave

One would hire an attorney.
Taking on the federal government through federal courts is not a do it yourself job.

Ok, thanks, so most folks probably approach organizations like the ACLU for scenarios of this sort, correct?

CdwJava question for you.

You said "And, quite honestly, the ACLU is not likely to get involved given the subject matter of these videos."

Why do you think that is? Are they afraid for their well being or is there some legal issue that makes this complex?

Dave

BTW this is a pretty cool forum. I like the casual and non emotional discourse.

I have wondered about some liability issues and the advantage of family trusts I think that I will look at that branch of the forum too.

Dave

Honestly, the issues presented in the videos are of the sort championed by the ACLU, so assuming there was no clear position of the NPS advocating for people to make a religious or lifestyle choice, they are not likely to get involved. The videos appear to be well within acceptable legal norms.

You should present your own videos showing how some of these Muslim woman grow up to become terrorist bombers and engage in holy war orgies where they whore themselves out, having sex with up to 100 jihadist rebels, to get pregnant and raise more of them.

Then again, one could also film Mr & Mrs McVeigh, or the parents of the Columbine twosome. The Bundy family, perhaps. Or better yet, the parents of Manson's little crew.

Nothing quite like home-brewed violence, is there?

In general I am not in support of anyone who is trying to kill me but I am also not sure how we got onto this tangent. :)

Last edited:
No you are are wrong. I was not complaining about innocent looking girls. Don't put words in my mouth.

I want to stop a federal site from promoting religious propoganda.

You (Dissagreeabl) started the tangent regarding jihad and violence.

I had assumed that you were on some Isalm rant but apparently I was mistaken and you were being sacrastic.

My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back