Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Worried about shoplifting charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcortez

About a month ago, I was shopping at a dept store and looking at dresses. I found one I liked but it didn't have a price sticker on the label. Another dress right next to it looked identical but was in a different size. I took the price sticker from the other dress and put it on the one I wanted to buy. When I went to the cashier, she said that was not the right price and it was $12 more. I just paid the correct price and left. I didn't think anything of it and didn't think about telling the cashier about having put the other dress's price sticker on it. But after I left, I started getting paranoid that the store employees might have thought that I changed the sticker on purpose to get a cheaper price. Those stores have cameras all over, and since I wasn't trying to hide my actions, they must have me on video. I'm just really worried that they would have gone back through the videos and considered it theft. I used a check, so they can identity me. So, my questions are: How likely is it that they thought it was attempted theft and checked videos? How likely that they would take action? And if they did take action, would I have heard something in a month? In my state, minor retail theft is considered a summary offense and has a statute of limitations of 30 days. Can I breath easy after thirty days have passed? Any input or opinion would be appreciated.

Unless you are a part of a ring that is causing a significant amount of shortage to the retail store, you should be fine.

When in stores, it is best to get the help of a sales associate when reticketing items. It is their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back