Worried about being rate and denied unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboy

something very strange is going on at work. I think that the company is having a very hard time. Every time I came into work let's say like 4 minutes late for the start of the day I would make it up by staying at least 5 minutes at the end.it has never been a problem before since nothing we do so early will affect a customer. Now all of the sudden 1 of the other bosses is starting to write everybody up if they come in just 2 minutes late. Those guys always come in late which is pretty aggravating. 1 of the other employees says they are doing this so they can create a paper trail to fire us so they can fight unemployment. Can they do that? What can a company do to win a case and have an employee not get unemployment benefits?

If the employer/boss wants you there exactly on time, then you must get there on time (unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary). They set the rules.

The state decides whether you get UI benefits or not (not the employer) & each case is taken on an individual basis. Whether you are approved or denied depends on the reason for the termination - you can also be denied if you quit without "good cause."

What the company is doing is a pretty good way to justify contesting employment benefits. The best way for you to combat this is to get to work on time. There is nothing in the law that says you can be late as long as you make up the time at the end; if you're due in at 8:00 and you arrive at 8:01, you are late. Late enough times, and warned about being late often enough, and UI benefits can be denied. So I suggest you stop being two or three minutes late and start getting there when you're supposed to.

BTW, bosses often work late and take work home with them. I wouldn't use their being "late" as a justification for you to do so yourself.

And if you would be terminated for being late & whether you get UI benefits or not, this would not be a wrongful termination.

(See your other thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back