Worried about being Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doubledragon

Hello,
I started working for my company a few months ago and have never called off. About a month ago I was transferred to a new location. It is a much busier location and is far more demanding then my prior location. I have suffered for a very long time from sudden attacks where it becomes difficult to breathe. One such attack occurred a week ago and two of my supervisors told me to go home.

Later that day, the store manager called and gave me a very stern telling off. I was surprised (especially since two of her employees had told me to go home). The following day, I began having severe chest pains. I tried all sorts of remedies (gas, upset tummy, acid reflex) but the pain persisted for two more days. I worked through the pain for those days and on the third day I mentioned that I was going to the ER after work to several people that day. After an EKG, several x-rays, and two doctors exams it was concluded that I have costochondritis. I was told (not advised...told) that I was not to do anything for the next three days. I told the doctors that I had to go to work and was extremely concerned that my boss would be angry. I finally gave in and agreed to take one day off.

The following day I called my assistant manager several hours before my shift started to explain what had happened the night before. He was very short with me asking only how long would I be off and did I have a note. I took the day off and then returned the next day to work a full normal day. I was prescribed Percoset and Ibuprofen for the pain, but am unable to take them because they make me loopy. I spent my entire day in agony and when it was time for lunch, my store manager confronted me and informed me that I was off for the next two days but when I came in again she and I would need to talk to "reevaluate my employment".

I was unaware that a medical condition was a sufficient reason to fire someone who was kind enough to transfer to another location (one that is not very convenient as far as distance or parking). While it's true this is not my dream job, I do work very hard because I really need the money.

My "reevaluation" is tomorrow and I am very worried that I will lose my job for something that isn't my fault.

Please help!!

a medical reason is not sufficient reason to fire someone. get a note from your doctor putting you on intermittent fmla for your health condition. your employer must provide you with fmla time for a serious health condition. your doctor will know how to do that. ask your employer/hr what is required for you to provide in way of medical documentation for intermittent fmla. that means if you need time off due to your illness, whether it be half a day for a dr. appt. or 2 weeks to recover, then your job is protected if you are qualified by the length of time you have been with the employer. if a determination has been made that your health condition may also fall into a disability, then you may also be covered under the american's with disabilities act.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/902cm.html

Last edited:
I just worry about the lack of money...

I'm barely making it as is right now

did your doc make a diagnosis

have you ever experienced panic or anxiety attacks, that sounds similar to what you describe, so you might want to discuss that with your doc

i have them also, under control, with meds for many years, that would most likely be a disability under ada that your employer would need to accomdate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back