Working out of town

John Smith 66

Jurisdiction
California
I currently work out of town and process of getting a divorce (5 hour commute staying there 1/2 time) from 21 year marriage. I want to go back and found two part time jobs, mainly because I want to be closer to my teenage daughter. The two jobs pay less because wages are generally lower in the area. will I be obligated to pay alimony support based on my out of town job? Is it ok to have two part time jobs instead of one fulltime job? I spent a little over a year commuting this way. how is my situation viewed from a legal stand point? She does not work.

Thank you.

John

I currently work out of town and process of getting a divorce (5 hour commute staying there 1/2 time) from 21 year marriage. I want to go back and found two part time jobs, mainly because I want to be closer to my teenage daughter. The two jobs pay less because wages are generally lower in the area. will I be obligated to pay alimony support based on my out of town job? Is it ok to have two part time jobs instead of one fulltime job? I spent a little over a year commuting this way. how is my situation viewed from a legal stand point? She does not work.

Thank you.

John
Do you have an attorney or planning on having an attorney for your divorce?

Last edited:
The two jobs pay less because wages are generally lower in the area.

How much less? Provide dollar figures. Monthly gross of the full time job. Monthly gross of the two part time jobs.

will I be obligated to pay alimony support based on my out of town job?

Maybe. If there is a significant difference in the earnings, you could be in trouble.

But, then, I'm no lawyer, and you should have one.

If you voluntarily take a pay cut, that may impact spousal and child support calculations. On the other hand, if the voluntary pay cut is taken to reduce significantly the distance between you and your child, that may also be taken into account.

Back