1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Working abroad

Discussion in 'Law School & Careers in Law' started by JohanSA, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohanSA

JohanSA Law Topic Starter New Member

Hi, im studying for my LLB degree in South Africa at this moment. I am thinking of leaving the country once I have obtained my degree, but I have not yet decided where to go. Any advice as to where the best oppertunities may be, would be appreciated.

2. Proserpina

Proserpina Moderator

We really can't answer in any meaningful way, I'm afraid.

Much will depend on what you wish to do, and the requirements of any particular country.

3. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

Is there anyone at your college/university that can help you with questions like that?

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Your non-US law degree will have little value in the US.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

5. JohanSA

JohanSA Law Topic Starter New Member

I am aware that I cannot do much with a non-US law degree in the US. But I am also aware of certain bridging courses, and I am more than willing to do that. I am particularly fond of criminal law, but I am also interested in civil procedure.

6. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

Is there anyone you know practicing law in the fields you are interested in you can talk to? Maybe someone at your university can help answer some of your questions. As noted previously, different countries have different requirements. (even different states in the US can have different requirements re foreign degrees)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  7. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Then you SHOULD know that each of the 50 US States, the District of Columbia, and ALL US Territories have their OWN licensing requirements.

I suggest you review those requirements for NON-US educated lawyers (with bar admission in their jurisdictions) by searching the websites of the states or territories that interest you.

You could also visit or contact the American Bar Association which can provide you with some useful information.