Worked for more than a week and a half but no pay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saimirasbaubles

Hello,

I currently started a new job as a receptionist. When I was first hired, the interview process took about 5 hours. During that inicial interview my employer told me he would give me two weeks to decide if the job was for me, because he was looking to hire someone long term. He said that later on, if I worked and lets say decided two months down the road that I didn't want to work there anymore he would not pay me the last two weeks. The job paid every two weeks. He said I would work 11-7 pm monday through Friday and Sunday 11-4.
So I started 1/7/2008 did not work on 1/8 and 1/9 I was called in but after 3 hours he told me to go home because they were renovating and told me to call the next day. When I call he told me to come in Monday 1/14 at 11. I worked that monday 11-7 but they wanted me to come in at 10 on wednesday to 5 and that I will now have to come into work on Saturdays instead of Sundays. Because during the interview I told him I would prefer to have Sundays off. Because they were fixing their schedule and had two secretaries for the night shift and I would be ther morning shift with the other secretary but they wanted me to work 10-5 with no lunch, but they say that I can eat snacks on the job.
On Saturday, 1/19 I tell him that I need to have a lunch break and that I am not happy with the job ( they were very disorganized, plus as a married woman I need a full time job) and would like to stop working. He and his wife leaves and the wife tells me to stay there until she calls. She calls me that saturday at 5:30 and tells me I can leave but to come in monday at 10. To discuss the job.
I come in monday and they don't come into the office until 11, but are too occupied to talk to me. At 12:30 I finally get to talk to them and tell them that I don't feel the job is for me and would like to stop working. They tell me that I wasted their time and that they don't owe me anything because he said that he told me in the beginning that he would keep two weeks if I quit.
I feel stupid and duped because I worked hard and starved for almost two weeks for no pay :( But it was my fault for not having anything in writing during the initial interview. Everything was verbal, but he kept changing his mind as to my hours and duties. Ps they had me sign a paper saying it was my decision to leave the job because I no longer wished to work with them. I was too confused and signed it. But I don't know why they needed it if they didn't pay me so technically I never worked?

Is this legal?

Duped in NY. :(

If you worked, you have to be paid. That's the law, and nothing you sign will make that law go away. If he refuses to pay you for the time you worked, file a claim with the state DOL.

I am afraid because my employeer never gave me any written contracts and he did not let me take the sign in sheets as proof. So I have no proof except that I know the passwords to some of the internet websites they made me use and I'm sure they can change that. Also, can he use the excuse he gave me? Saying that he said that if I left the job he would not pay me the last two weeks? I'm afraid because I don't have a lawyer and it would probably cost more to pursue this legally. It's still so unfair. I don't know what to do. I'll look into NY's DOL. Thanks for the help.

You don't have to prove you worked. The employer has to prove you didn't.

You don't need a lawyer to file with the DOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back